Motorist fails to slow/stop for five year rider and dad.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Seems OK to me TBH.

Alex321

Veteran
While the driver was clearly in the wrong according to HC guidance (there was way less than 1.5m clearance), I can understand why many people are saying the kid shouldn't have been on the road.

At that age, he is really not capable of making his own safety related decisions, and if you are going to take him on roads with traffic, there really should be somebody responsible both in front of AND behind him.

But the fact is, he WAS there, and he wasn't doing anything wrong, and the car driver should have made sure to give him more room.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
It was OK as it turned out but might not have been so. The child's riding was a little erratic and the road was wet. A bit of forethought should have told the driver to at least slow right down or stop.

I've viewed it a few times on another Forum, and I think the kid's riding is very good - I can't see that erratic is a label that should attach.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Inconsiderate driving imo as that's clearly a small child. Irrespective of laws / thoughts on a small child being present in that situation. They there - and i think most would expect a driver to give time / space accordingly.

I wonder how much peoples attitudes / expectations would change if this was professional driver (Taxi / Lorry / Police etc) rather than what on face value appears to be a member of the general public.

I also wonder if that person isn't yet a parent to children of their own........

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Driver should have waited small child or no small child.

Mike_P

Guru
The logic of those asking why the cycle lane was not being used, look further on idiots and see the cars blocking it. As for whether a 5 year should be cycling on the road it would be illegal to cycle on the pavement - something many school kids do near me as the alternative is a busy uphill A road. That issue really needs reviewing.

The father - what was he thinking? I know parents who are proud of their prowess but this is dangerous. I will be an absolute idiot to pursue for justice if something went wrong and I allowed it.

If I was driver and on seeing the child, I would have stopped altogether.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
The child looks competent. The car driver was entirely wrong (and realised it, judging by the nervous close pass of the parked car left of them).
The only comment I'd make is that the parent could have been a little closer (though difficult to judge from the video) and a bit further out, the better to discourage oncoming idiots.

A bit of forethought should have told the driver to at least slow right down or stop.

I agree.

What is frsutrating about much of the furore over this (in other places!), is that so many people who think the parent was unwise to take the child down there CANNOT see that it's ALSO possible that the driver should have taken more care*.

Perhaps it's the weird, binary, red-mist of the internet; no-one posts if they have a balanced view, we only hear the knee-kerk responses.
(and in the case of that senior Tory councillor, her repeated doubling-down on that knee-jerk response 🤦‍♀️ )

Top Bottom