Motorist v Cyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Norm

As a driver, I doubt I'd expect a cyclist to come up the inside of me from the outside lane of dual carriageway. I shake my head a motorcyclists doing it so why wouldn't I think the same for a cyclist doing it?
Are you being serious with that comment?

Hawk

Veteran
I wouldn't like to be in the traffic and that video but nor would I like to filter through it like that. It only takes one car to try to switch lanes and I'd be in trouble. As a driver, I doubt I'd expect a cyclist to come up the inside of me from the outside lane of dual carriageway. I shake my head a motorcyclists doing it so why wouldn't I think the same for a cyclist doing it?

Don't think this is much of a riskl, especially in slow traffic (and not a risk at all in stopped traffic). Changing lane requires a knowledge that the next lane over is clear. Drivers do check their mirrors fairly well in such situations, they like their paintwork.

Next, you have a signal, which is a good forewarning of danger.

If a driver forgets both of those, you'll see the car's wheels begin to turn before they start moving significantly across your path.

If there's a gap opening in traffic, there's a reason for it.

Filtering IS relatively high risk but compensating with a high level of alertness can help.

I don't know why you'd shake your head at motorcycles doing the same thing, it's pefectly legal and as long as other road users stick to their own basic obligations of maintaining awareness of what's around them and signalling their intentions, they should not be disadvantaged or endangered in any way?

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
I understand why he would shake his head, theres only TWO lanes for a reason, Its like you overtaking a car while a motorbike overtakes the same car while undertaking you. I feel its ok to filter while traffic is stationary, but then when traffic starts moving again, your stuck! You either have to cut a car up, which means moving into the safe stopping distance gap that the car has left for his safty and now your your invading that space, (simular to when im in the fast lane of the motorway, and somone pulls into the gap I have left between me and the car infront), or do the above undertaking/overtaking business. Realy hard to judge whats right and whats wrong!

Powely

Are you being serious with that comment?

I was being serious yes.

Don't think this is much of a riskl, especially in slow traffic (and not a risk at all in stopped traffic). Changing lane requires a knowledge that the next lane over is clear. Drivers do check their mirrors fairly well in such situations, they like their paintwork.

Next, you have a signal, which is a good forewarning of danger.

If a driver forgets both of those, you'll see the car's wheels begin to turn before they start moving significantly across your path.

If there's a gap opening in traffic, there's a reason for it.

Filtering IS relatively high risk but compensating with a high level of alertness can help.

I don't know why you'd shake your head at motorcycles doing the same thing, it's pefectly legal and as long as other road users stick to their own basic obligations of maintaining awareness of what's around them and signalling their intentions, they should not be disadvantaged or endangered in any way?

Thanks Hawk for your explanation, I understand the pro's/con/s of filtering a little better now. I still think it's too high risk though. I see to many silly errors on the road as it is, I wouldn't trust a drivers judgement enough to put myself in that kind of position.

Norm

I was being serious yes.
Then can I request you find some way of increasing your observational ability before you consider yourself to be safe at the wheel of 1,500kg of lethal weapon.

I wouldn't trust a drivers judgement enough to put myself in that kind of position.
From what youve already confessed, i can see how you would think that. However, most who filter regularly expect drivers to try something that will kill them, and are pleasantly surprised when their expectations are exceeded.

Powely

Then can I request you find some way of increasing your observational ability before you consider yourself to be safe at the wheel of 1,500kg of lethal weapon.

It's not my observational skills I'm worried about, although I must admit since I've taken up cycling I have become a better driver. Making minor adjustments to hopefully put other cyclists more at ease.

From what youve already confessed, i can see how you would think that. However, most who filter regularly expect drivers to try something that will kill them, and are pleasantly surprised when their expectations are exceeded.

Suppose if other more experienced cyclists wish to filter and feel safe prejudging other road users actions then that is up to them. I just am not that confident on the road as yet and still feel it's a dangerous position to put myself in; an unnecessary one for me too as I don't commute and the traffic is very rarely at a standstill where I live.

Norm

I'm more worried about your abilities as a driver than a cyclist if you aren't watching out for other road users performing normal and legitimate maneouvres.

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
Its called undertaking and shouldnt be done

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
it also depends to what point it turns from filtering to undertaking? Moving past cars on the inside while cars have stopped = Filtering. Battering at along a 30mph passing cars on the inside = Undertaking. between the two points = Grey area?

Top Bottom