Motorist v Cyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paul J

I had my first incident with a car driver (late 30s) today nearly knocking me off twice for which as I rode passed his open window calling him a d***head. He came along side further down the road and I was expecting a load of abuse, but apologised to which I replied "Ok what ever." and thought that will be the last I see of him.

In the next village he had stopped to drop of his kids at school and when he saw me flagged me down as he was standing in the road. We had a good chat about the pros and cons but in the end he admitted that in his opinion car drivers had become very impatient with other road users and that it could have turned out quite nasty if I had been a child. We shock hands at went on our own merry ways me knowinging I had turned he views of a motorist, who will hopefully treat cyclists differently.

Reactions: akb

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Strange response to here from a motorist who you just slagged off (apology). Normally they then start having a go at you, asking you what you said to them and then threatening you or trying to knock you off.

OP
OP
P

Paul J

He had already nearly knocked me off twice, once when he cut in front and then when I was going passed him he swerved out from the kerb. Must have been the fire and brimstone look lol

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
I’ve been looking at a lot of cycling videos, on here and on you tube, because I’m looking at how they ended up having accidents and how I can avoid by learning from their mistakes.

Some of these cyclist are just crazy, filtering through, squeezing though gaps, cutting cars up. If someone did this in a car you would go mad, why is it acceptable just because you’re on a bike? Just because your you can fit though a gap don’t mean you have right to go and do it, like some guy was filtering down the left, then cut across a car and filtered down the right, a trucks behind a bus, he’s is indicating and clearly going to pull out, cyclist tries to squeeze through, truck pulls out, hits him. Cyclist blames truck. If someone in a car flew down the right instead of waiting his turn it would be an obvious mistake of the car driver, but a bike…

We all know drivers are careless and don’t understand cyclists on the road, but I think some cyclists take liberties and are putting themselves in too much danger.

Please don’t shout at me, it was just a thought!

At the risk of stating the obvious I would point out its likely most cyclists on CC are motorists too. It's not really a case of them and us but recognising there are idiots using every form of transport. Of course its the careless/reckless motorist which causes harm to others where cyclists just usually hurt themselves!

sidevalve

Über Member
At the risk of stating the obvious I would point out its likely most cyclists on CC are motorists too. It's not really a case of them and us but recognising there are idiots using every form of transport. Of course its the careless/reckless motorist which causes harm to others where cyclists just usually hurt themselves!
Pretty spot on really and I'm afraid Peter Armsrong is right too. A lot of the vids show things which, if the positions were reversed, would have cyclists howling from the rooftops.
After all, on a commute, how many vehicles pass you ? A hundred, a thousand, you don't notice 'cos they do nothing wrong [in your eyes anyway] then someone pulls in front and Oh dear, you have to brake [I'm ignoring the 24 carat loonies here. They are a danger to cyclists AND other cars and you can't legislate for stupid people, you just have to avoid them if you can]. Suddenly all motorists are scum and the world is against you.
This works the other way too, some nutter on a bike whips through a stupid gap and snaps your wing mirror then just puts his head down and pedals off, leaving you with a £100 + bill and no mirror or using what he may excuse as the "primary" position when there is no need, just to prove a point "OOH look at me, I'm a cyclist and you can't get past me" and sadly there are those too. Suddenly all cyclists are scum and the world is againt you.It's just a case of not judging all by the actions of one and, as in the OP remember people can learn.

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
I think Filtering is mostly the problem, it’s so dangerous, I don’t think it should be done as much as people do, I think it’s a bit like pushing in, and invading the space of other road users, I mean If a car came that close to you when you was stationary, you would have something to say about it. I only do it if I know (Or think) that I will reach the area in front of the cars before the lights change to green, otherwise your just cutting up a car really. Like a car overtaking allot of cars on a country lane, then having to cut in if a car is on coming. If I think I won’t make it, I will just wait my turn at the back in a primary position and move to secondary when traffic starts flowing. It’s only fair, and safe!

I think Filtering is mostly the problem, it’s so dangerous, I don’t think it should be done as much as people do, I think it’s a bit like pushing in, and invading the space of other road users, I mean If a car came that close to you when you was stationary, you would have something to say about it. I only do it if I know (Or think) that I will reach the area in front of the cars before the lights change to green, otherwise your just cutting up a car really. Like a car overtaking allot of cars on a country lane, then having to cut in if a car is on coming. If I think I won’t make it, I will just wait my turn at the back in a primary position and move to secondary when traffic starts flowing. It’s only fair, and safe!
Not filtering when it is safe and so making good progress on a motorbike test could earn you a fail. I don't see cycle filtering as any different really.

I agree to a point though. Some (me included at times) are just too eager to get to the front. I have made a concious effort of late to be a little more chilled and wait in the queue when the filtering might be a little too tight or not actually achieve much time benefit.

Hawk

Veteran

I agree with most of your sentiments. However, it is much easier for cyclists to judge a small gap that is next to their arm, compared with a car driver who is seated about a metre from whatever gap they are judging (on their left). More importantly, perhaps, a mistake by a cyclist might cause minor damage to a vehicle, if they haven't completely buggered it up. A mistake from a larger vehicle is much more likely to cause more expensive damage and, vitally, injury.

However, I do agree with you overall.

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.
Pretty spot on really and I'm afraid Peter Armsrong is right too. A lot of the vids show things which, if the positions were reversed, would have cyclists howling from the rooftops.
After all, on a commute, how many vehicles pass you ? A hundred, a thousand, you don't notice 'cos they do nothing wrong [in your eyes anyway] then someone pulls in front and Oh dear, you have to brake [I'm ignoring the 24 carat loonies here. They are a danger to cyclists AND other cars and you can't legislate for stupid people, you just have to avoid them if you can]. Suddenly all motorists are scum and the world is against you.
This works the other way too, some nutter on a bike whips through a stupid gap and snaps your wing mirror then just puts his head down and pedals off, leaving you with a £100 + bill and no mirror or using what he may excuse as the "primary" position when there is no need, just to prove a point "OOH look at me, I'm a cyclist and you can't get past me" and sadly there are those too. Suddenly all cyclists are scum and the world is againt you.It's just a case of not judging all by the actions of one and, as in the OP remember people can learn.

I guess it's the same in any aspect of life - you tend to remember the b*****ds above others.

The vast majority of drivers are, if not courteous, at least able to drive safely, but you tend to forget them in lieu of that one out of a thousand who jumpedthelight/deliberatley tried to hit you/SMIDSY'd/made lewd comments etc etc

Norm

I very seldom filter to the front, I'm usually dropping in 2 or 3 cars back so I can be sure everyone I've passed has seen me in case they are turning left. Of course, if the queue is only 2 or 3 cars long, I'll just hook onto the back of it like any other piece of traffic.

Hip Priest

Veteran

If I didn't filter, I'd never get to work.

[

(not my video)

Powely

I wouldn't like to be in the traffic and that video but nor would I like to filter through it like that. It only takes one car to try to switch lanes and I'd be in trouble. As a driver, I doubt I'd expect a cyclist to come up the inside of me from the outside lane of dual carriageway. I shake my head a motorcyclists doing it so why wouldn't I think the same for a cyclist doing it?

Top Bottom