Strava Beacon V Garmin Live track V something else

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Evening all,

I would like a way of a select few people knowing where I am when I ride my bike.

Strava beacon appears to fit the bill - but ideally I would like to run it from my Garmin edge explorer rather than my phone.....

Anybody used this ? Or Garmin live tracks or anything similar...

Ok with paying for strava premium if that's what it takes .....

Any advice appreciated..

We used the Garmin one which is run from the Edge on our LEJOG back in 2018.

I’ve used both.

Strava live beacon, from an Apple Watch Ultra, and Garmin live track from an Edge 1000. Garmin does still require a connection to your phone to transmit the data so you phone is still required.

I have no preference on what I use to send my location but those receiving the data have told me that they prefer Strava beacon.

Joffey

Big Dosser
As stated above, Garmin Live Track requires a phone connection.

I use Strava Beacon on my Garmin which again requires a phone connection.

It seems to work very well.

If you have an Apple phone / watch you could use ‘Find my Friends’ which is free. I am sure Android will have a similar version.

Evening all,

I would like a way of a select few people knowing where I am when I ride my bike.

Strava beacon appears to fit the bill - but ideally I would like to run it from my Garmin edge explorer rather than my phone.....

Anybody used this ? Or Garmin live tracks or anything similar...

Ok with paying for strava premium if that's what it takes .....

Any advice appreciated..

Doesn't really matter. You need your phone to transmit your position even if you use the Garmin beacon.

I don't know of a bike computer that has a SIM card and a contract - I expect that would be very expensive.

If you have pals with IPhones and just your general location is enough you can just ride with an apple Airtag. Every time an iPhone passes by they'll ping your location. No need to remember to press start or anything.

gom

Über Member
I use both sides of Garmin Live Track and find it pretty good.
Although it is using a phone to send the data to Garmin it is not using the phone’s gps and I find that there is no significant effect on battery life.

Can’t comment on Strava.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I use the Wahoo Live Track feature which works well, when it works. It seems to require the right combination of connectedness when you start the ride in order for it to send the link to my wife.

Other than that there's Apple's "Find My" system.

si_c

Guru
Used Garmin Live Track as well as Strava Beacon. Both seem to work well enough, although I think Mrs C prefers how Beacon notifies those who are tracking.

Garmin Live Track offers a link so anyone can view the ride. Plenty of options for both and Beacon can piggy back on Livetrack for it's position information so it doesn't run off the phone GPS.

Top Bottom