Motorists who lurk.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Well, there's also the 'left hook that isn't' that happened to me on the way to work earlier this week.

I was passed by a motorist who then slowed and signalled to turn left. No problem as they were well past me and had plenty of time to complete the turn before I would have been there..... except the driver must have lost all idea of where I was and how quickly I was moving as they just slowed to a stop about 6ft from the kerb and sat there waiting with indicator still blinking. This was really awkward as it left me approaching from behind with no clue as to whether I should cycle up the gap between vehicle and kerb, stop behind the car and wait for them to shift or try to pass to their right against oncoming traffic.
In the end I opted for going through the gap they clearly expected me to emerge from but at a reduced speed and covering the brakes incase the situation suddenly changed.

I suppose if they have such bad judgement and spatial awareness then the driver should really have slowed to my speed and followed me to the junction then turned behind me?

The first car is considerate, over cautious perhaps but I do wonder about the 2nd car which comes along and only see them being held up by a cyclist. After the 1st driver has passed sensibly, the 2nd driver usually takes out their frustration on me with a dodgy pass. Perhaps if the 1st driver had passed quicker they would have been less frustrated and passed better?

col

Legendary Member
I do get cars tailgating on the motorway, I mean really close. It can be a bit worrying, so I take my foot off the throttle until they pass. Actually slowed to 35 once before that particular one decided to overtake. Not had it on my bike yet, but doubt if I could slow much more to force a pass.^_^

I had a lurker the other night who did the classic "I think i've waited long enough now I'm going to pass even though there is a vehicle coming the other way on this narrow road. Oh dear I've misjudged this but I don't want to hit the other vehicle that may scratch my paint nor do I want to brake. I will force the cyclist into the kerb instead"

Cue much indignant blowing of horns from all vehicles including the lurker and expletives from Vigilies.

OP
OP
P

PeteT

I had a lurker the other night who did the classic "I think i've waited long enough now I'm going to pass even though there is a vehicle coming the other way on this narrow road. Oh dear I've misjudged this but I don't want to hit the other vehicle that may scratch my paint nor do I want to brake. I will force the cyclist into the kerb instead"

Cue much indignant blowing of horns from all vehicles including the lurker and expletives from Vigilies.
You a Rhino by any chance? I'm only a poor little Robin...

sddpc

Since 1st january this year i've spent 143 hours in the saddle, cycling 1657 miles (hope to crack 2000 by new years eve).

I've been driving 21 years, 10k a year, no accidents in that time, also have had a few advanced driving lessons in 1999 and
again in 2009 from the local advanced drivers club.

One of the things you are taught is how to "look for eyes inside other vehicles" and observe whether the person is "driving"
or busy yakking to passengers/on the phone/in a daze/etc. Basically identifying hazards, evaluating risk, preparing for
evasive action,etc.

Whenever i have a car following too closely i will glance back to see whats behind its steering wheel ... if its an older
driver they are probably in no rush and will follow until they can overtake without thrashing bessie / wasting fuel.
They probably don't realise they are too close due to their driving skills having reduced over the years.

If its a younger driver its the opposite, their driving skills may be lacking, or they are over-confident ... or even
being aggressive by trying to intimidate the cyclist in front.

In both instances i will *move away from the kerb*.
I aim to own the lane i am in, and i intend to "control" their overtaking behaviour, basically i will not allow people
to squeeze by when there is a car coming from the other direction ... they can WAIT!!

The basic idea is (often quoted by advanced drivers): You can perform a dangerous overtake, then after a few seconds
catch another vehicle up .... or .... you can bide your time, do a safe over take, have a bit longer driving a decent speed,
and still catch the other vehicle up.

I'm probably baffling/waffling/etc ... lets just say the only crashes i've had this year have involved boulders up mount snowdon
and trees in thetford forest. :wacko:

Carol C

I've only recently got a bike but have had big 4x4's and a Land Rover right up behind me, which I found very daunting. Made a change the other day when a 4x4 actually went past me very slowly on a sliproad down to the harbour and didn't pass until we went round a bend; a courteous driver. Still encounter those drivers who think it is ok to pull out of a side road when I am coming down the main road, as though cyclists don't count!

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I rememeber being told about an incident by a lorry driver a few years ago. He was behind a small scooter and didn't have the room or the acceleration to overtake him. A car driver came past him and didn't see the scooter which the lorry was following, the car driver just pulled straight back in front of the lorry and took the scooter out. So keep an eye on what's lurking behind you, if you can't see through it then neither can the drivers behind and you don't want a SMIDSY in that situation.

sddpc

I rememeber being told about an incident by a lorry driver a few years ago. He was behind a small scooter and didn't have the room or the acceleration to overtake him. A car driver came past him and didn't see the scooter which the lorry was following, the car driver just pulled straight back in front of the lorry and took the scooter out. So keep an eye on what's lurking behind you, if you can't see through it then neither can the drivers behind and you don't want a SMIDSY in that situation.

Exactly the reason why i said (in my previous post): when followed closely i move away from the kerb.
More chance of anybody overtaking the car following me ... actually seeing me!!

Top Bottom