Motorized Bicycle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi.
I've often seen this old guy in my town and he's got a vintage 70,s road bike with a small petrol engine fitted to it. Most of the time I've seen him pushing it down the road ,but this evening I caught a glimpse of him riding it along the road.
He was going along at a pretty sedate speed and the engine sounded very quiet as it popped its way along.
He also looks quite eccentric dressed in a tweed jacket and a very old fashioned helmet.
As it went passed I noticed he had some out of place Cree front lights and flashing rear led lights fitted.
The other thing I noticed was his bike didn't have a number plate, which I personally would if thought should be mandatory on any petrol propelled vehicle on our roads in the UK.( although I may be wrong).
I was just wondering where does the law stand on such bike's.
It did look nice though, and kind of reminiscent of what life was like in by gone days :-) :-)

if it has an engine then it is a moped and should have a reg plate, mot ,tax and should be insured

D

Deleted member 1258

Hi.
I've often seen this old guy in my town and he's got a vintage 70,s road bike with a small petrol engine fitted to it. Most of the time I've seen him pushing it down the road ,but this evening I caught a glimpse of him riding it along the road.
He was going along at a pretty sedate speed and the engine sounded very quiet as it popped its way along.
He also looks quite eccentric dressed in a tweed jacket and a very old fashioned helmet.
As it went passed I noticed he had some out of place Cree front lights and flashing rear led lights fitted.
The other thing I noticed was his bike didn't have a number plate, which I personally would if thought should be mandatory on any petrol propelled vehicle on our roads in the UK.( although I may be wrong).
I was just wondering where does the law stand on such bike's.
It did look nice though, and kind of reminiscent of what life was like in by gone days :-) :-)

Ordinary bicycles with engines used to be common in the 1950's, my Dad had one if I remember right, the engine sat on a carrier at the back.

similar to this https://oldbike.wordpress.com/1950s-raleigh-superbe-with-trojan-mini-motor-gearless-cycle-outboard/

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
if it has an engine then it is a moped and should have a reg plate, mot ,tax and should be insured
He also needs to be wearing a proper motorcycle helmet - even when pushing it, as he is still technically in control of it.
I used to ride a BSA Winged Wheel around a car park near our house many years ago. 32cc of monster 2 stroke.
It was the first engine I ever rebuilt when I was 10 years old.

Top Bottom