Motorsports Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Verstappen's team mate wasn't allowed to challenge him.:sad:

That's what I mean! Lewis Hamilton has for the majority of his time had to compete against a team mate. Bottas always seemed reluctant to move over and always seemed to put up more of a fight against his team mate than the opposition . :wacko:
If things continue as they are it will be a walk over for Verstappen . :angry:

D

Deleted member 1258

If things continue as they are it will be a walk over for Verstappen . :angry:

I think thats Red Bull's plan.

D

Deleted member 26715

I'm not too sure, I think Perez took too much out of his tyres in the first few laps to try to gap LeClerc, once the Ferrari was out then all the pressure was off, the pass from Verstappen was based on race pace although made easier by the instructions. From that point they both went into conserve the engine mode, there was no threat so why stress anything, I'm sure if the Ferrari's had still been on the track then Perez would have driven completely different.

Let's remember not since Ricciardo has anyone been able to get within 0.5 seconds of Verstappen & now we see Perez beating him in a straight fight, so much so Daddy Verstappen is throwing his dummy out trying to protect his precious baby.

I was disappointed in Norris, he came over as a petulant teenager wanting Riccardo to move over just so he finished ahead of him although Ricciardo had played the team game earlier & effectively screwed his race up.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I was disappointed in Norris, he came over as a petulant teenager wanting Riccardo to move over just so he finished ahead of him although Ricciardo had played the team game earlier & effectively screwed his race up.
Yeah, I thought the same. Daniel asked why he was being held back, got the explanation of Lando's strategy and dealt with it - obviously and visibly holding back from overtaking him at turn 1 when he was much faster. Of course each driver wants to get their best result but they have to remember they are employees of the team, not the other way around. McLaren get the same points whichever way around they finish and if Danny had been allowed to overtake him he'd have been further up the road.

Last edited:

icowden

Veteran
I saw that Toto felt he had to offer an explanation as to why Russell was ahead of Hamilton again.

Personally I think Russell has a huge advantage with the car as he's spent his entire F1 career fighting with the Williams car, so he's used to a car that is difficult to manage whereas Lewis has maybe become a bit to used to a car that works exactly the way he would like it to.

That said Hamilton has also not been favoured by luck this year at all and yet again he was one of the few drivers able to work his way through the field.

D

Deleted member 26715

When Hamilton was winning, it was because he was such a good driver, now he's not, it seems others just have better cars. I guess George must have one of those too. :laugh:
I think that is unfair, he's just explaining that it's a very difficult car to drive & that the window in which it works is very small, it's not him complaining that Russell is ahead of him, it's other trying to stir up the shite.

figbat

Slippery scientist
There does seem, superficially at least, to be a certain stubborn pride about Mercedes... "we went for an innovative design and we will make it work.... one day.... just you watch.... it'll get there... honest...".

How long until they either fix it or bin it?

icowden

Veteran
When Hamilton was winning, it was because he was such a good driver, now he's not, it seems others just have better cars. I guess George must have one of those too. :laugh:

Yep - that's the shoot I keep on seeing. Toto pointed out that Russell outqualified Hamilton on the last 3 races as each time, stuff they were experimenting with just worked better on one car than the other. Hamilton's race pace has generally been faster but he has been held back by having to overtake people whilst Russell has generally been in a good position from the start and able to make hay.

There does seem, superficially at least, to be a certain stubborn pride about Mercedes... "we went for an innovative design and we will make it work.... one day.... just you watch.... it'll get there... honest...". How long until they either fix it or bin it?
I think because of the budget caps they are having to try and fix it. There is a strong limit on what they are now allowed to do to the car - hence Russell raising the issue of bottoming and pointing out that they can't go 4 years like this.

Top Bottom