Motorsports Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
It about money in F1. Some drivers pay to drive and bring huge sponsorship. Others get their dad to buy the team.

The best drivers aren’t always in F1 if they can’t bring in the bucks.

There’s huge money in NFL; Patrick Maholmes (QB for the Chiefs) has just been given a contract worth almost half a billion dollars, the biggest in NFL history.

But it was only a half-serious suggestion, something to mix up the field and provide a bit of entertainment instead of the normal procession after the first lap.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
But it was only a half-serious suggestion, something to mix up the field and provide a bit of entertainment instead of the normal procession after the first lap.

Then you're watching the wrong kind of motorsport! ;)

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
There’s huge money in NFL; Patrick Maholmes (QB for the Chiefs) has just been given a contract worth almost half a billion dollars, the biggest in NFL history.

But NFL teams have 50 players in the squad. So they can hide a few rubbish ones.
I like the draft system, it keeps the leagues competitive, it just wouldn’t work in F1.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
The safety cell and halo worked exactly like they were meant to.

But...

a) The Armco isn't meant to do that... This isn't the 1970s...

b) The fuel cell area is supposed to be armoured and puncture proof. It obviously wasn't.

Still, Grosjean is a very lucky boy. Just a couple of years ago, that would've been a fatal. Echoes of Cevert and Berger for sure.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Berger is very much alive. Do you mean Senna or Ratzenberger perhaps?

No, I meant Berger - the fuel cell split in that particular accident too.

He went straight into the wall at the Tamburello, the car broke in two, and the fuel cell ruptured because it actually protruded into the sidepods because otherwise the wheelbase of the car would've been too long if the whole cell had been behind the driver, especially taking the V12 engine into account.

Fuel cell failure seems to be a factor in the Grosjean incident. Gary Anderson speaks sense.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
It looks like the 'halo' device saved him.
How many people thought the halo was an ugly addition to the cars. I think I was less than impressed when they first came out, but I hardly notice them now, the drivers don’t seem to worry about reduced vision and they are saving lives.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
How many people thought the halo was an ugly addition to the cars. I think I was less than impressed when they first came out, but I hardly notice them now, the drivers don’t seem to worry about reduced vision and they are saving lives.

I still think they're ugly. As are the new style nose cones and the raised cockpit sides. I really do miss the clean lines and balance of late 80s / early 90s single seaters.

BUT...

Ugly and safe are a very different thing. I prefer safe over aesthetics any day.

I'm saying that from the perspective of someone who has been personally touched by a single seater fatality.

Fuel cell failure seems to be a factor in the Grosjean incident. Gary Anderson speaks sense.
Grosjean is the main factor in Grosjean incidents. The man is a liability. Fast as hell, but he drives like he's playing a videogame. I've said for a while now that it's only a matter of time before he kills someone on the track.

Lucky, lucky man, to walk away from that. Better drivers have died from less destructive crashes.

Last edited:

figbat

Slippery scientist
Romain himself has admitted he was against them originally but it has now saved his life. He did incredibly well to get out of the car, but it was yet another Grosjean first lap crash caused by his lack of awareness/ability/attention. I hope he recovers fully but also hope he gets the message.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Grosjean is the main factor in Grosjean incidents. The man is a liability. Fast as hell, but he drives like he's playing a videogame. I've said for a while now that it's only a matter of time before he kills someone on the track.

Lucky, lucky man, to walk away from that. Lesser drivers have died from less destructive crashes.

I won't deny Grosjean is a latter day De Cesaris... But in his defence, he was tipped into the off by Kvyat, who is also no saint in that department.

But putting the driver and his proneness to crashing aside, my gripe is that while the safety cell and halo performed exactly as intended, the fuel cell shouldn't have ruptured. It's supposed to be puncture proof (it has a woven steel covering IIRC) and is inside a structure that should be well-protected from lateral impacts.

figbat

Slippery scientist
We don’t know that the fuel cell ruptured. Some chatter in coverage about the fuel collector being the source of the fuel for the fire. I guess that’s what an investigation will reveal.

Kvyat was a spectator in that crash - nothing he could have done.

Top Bottom