Motorsports Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Well said Reynard , Johnny was shouting to be given something to "put him out" when he saw the state of his legs immediately after the Brands shunt . He was a fantastic talent and was handicapped by his legs for the duration of his driving career , he had immense natural talent and the courage of a lion . Too many armchair fartboxes here with just a smattering of knowledge blabbing their mouths off. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing

A friend of a friend was the first marshal on the scene. The fella took one look at the front of Johnny's car and promptly threw up.

Drago

Legendary Member
Newey claiming, for what its worth, that he has no plans to join another team and that he intends "a bit of a break."

Drago

Legendary Member
Yeah, I sort of take anything anyone says in F1 with a pinch of salt until its actually happened. Except for anything about Johhny Herbert and pies - those are all true.

icowden

Veteran
Anyone else find this intriguing?
There was a glimmer of hope for Hamilton and the team when he suddenly went third quickest, behind only Leclerc and Verstappen, at the end of the second session, only for their pace to mysteriously vanish again in the final session.

“The car felt mega in Q2 all of a sudden but then got to Q3 it disappeared again,” Hamilton said. “It was the first time it has really worked this year, in Q2, I would say.”
It seems surprising to me that Mercedes just can't put their finger on what's going on. I

I like Johnny Herbert! He always seems to make a joke of things. I can remember his comment of the Australian GP in which Martin Brundel crashed and went over the top of his car. "Where's Brundel off to ?"

Drago

Legendary Member
Well done to Norris. The safety car gods favoured him, but he made his own luck by being in a position to exploit it. You can bet McLaren are twitching that someone will come along with a fast car and suitcase full of fifties to try and tempt him.

figbat

Slippery scientist
It was a great race and Norris was in with a shout regardless of the safety car - he drove away from Max on merit, and Max gapped those behind him despite suffering with grip. Good for him to finally chalk one up.

Elsewhere, Magnussen needs to miss a race or two - there’s a point where Viking bravery becomes pillaging and he’s stepped over that line several times.

Lewis wasn’t too bad, showing some speed at times. Ocon continues to behave like a 10 year old karter (although that side-by-side with Gasly was quite tasty). Oscar was showing some good stuff early on but was undone by the safety car.

I hope McLaren can be consistent like this, and Ferrari - it makes it a competition.

Drago

Legendary Member
Although Max damaged his own floor with an unscheduled car/bollard spatial incompatibility incident and was reckoned to be losing a quarter second a lap on one particular corner alone, so it could be reasonably argued Norris would not have stayed ahead but for that - the numbers don't lie.

I'm a fan of Norris and do declare it a well deserved win, but for all that he only did it through circumstance and a rare error by Max so its perhaps a bit early for McLaren to get too excited.

But you've got to be in it to win it and keeping your nose clean and staying up there in the hope that circumstance, fate or error on the part of Max deals them a good hand, which it did and Norris deservedly swoop3d in where lesser drivers feared to tread.

Nevertheles, my mind cant help but apply some perspedtive. Norris is capable, but McLaren have a way to go yet before they can provide him a car that will compete on genuinely level terms. Max is ruthless and he won't drop that clanger twice, and the next race will see,the status quo restored and for all Zak's tough talk the order won't change.

Indeed, I'm concerned that Zak is on the verge of becoming another Tito. Just as McLaren are starting to get their crosshairs close on target he's starting to waste time and mental bandwidth firing shots at Red Bull, and to a lesser extent Christ I'm Horny himself, in the media. It doesn't work, I really believe they don't give a sheet what anyone thinks, and every time Zak opens his mouth he's wasting seconds that could be invested in his own team. If he wants to emulate Red Bull's success (and who wouldn't love to see McLaren back on top?) he needs to emulate their methods and habits (although not the habit about perving at female employees) if he wants to emulate their success. Psych games clearly don't work on them, so why waste the effort trying? At best it achieves nothing, at worst it makes Zak look like an insecure personality and serves a distraction from the real business of racing.

Last edited:

icowden

Veteran
Indeed, I'm concerned that Zak is on the verge of becoming another Tito. Just as McLaren are starting to get their crossbars close on target he's starting to waste time and mental bandwidth firing shots at Red Bull, and to a lesser extent Christ I'm Horny himself, in the media. It doesn't work, I really believe they don't give a sheet what anyone thinks, and every time Zak opens his mouth he's wasting seconds that could be invested in his own team.
Do you really think that the team principal has that much influence on the team that any statement to the press is likely to be affecting their own chances?

Drago

Legendary Member
Clearly youve never run a successful business.

So to answer your frankly ridiculous quesion...in isolation, no. Collectively as a team, absolutely.

The established principle is simple. A few seconds here not working towards the goal, a wasted comment there, multiplied across 24 hours by the number of employees, then multiplied by 365 represents a significant wasted resource.

The man at the top should be setting the example for others to follow as regards discipline being applied to the single minded pursuit of that goal.

The habits of successful people. If you want to be like them, emulate them. If you don't, then don't. The bottom line is that simple.

Do Amazon waste time on this sort of thing? Does the CEO of Apple gossip to the camera about the opposition? Are JPmorgan Chase in the media discussing the internal politics of rival investment banks? No, of course not.

They don't, because there's no perfomance benefit or profit in doing so.

Of course, many of them are now playing to the Drive to Survive audience, another distraction from the mission of an F1 team, although very much on target when it comes to enhancing shareholder value for the commercial rights holders.

Last edited:
They need to overhaul the penalty system! Magnusson can force a car off the road almost causing an accident and remain in the lead through dangerous driving and only get a 5 second penalty. It isn't sufficient! He should have been given a drive through penalty as he impeded the progress of a faster driver who was kept behind by his bad driving. He later went on to cause a crash so if the penalties were harsher he might be forced to improve his driving.

Drago

Legendary Member
The Marshalls have raised the mwttermeith the FIA, and rightly so. While there was no technical breach of regs and it didn't meet the threshold for unsportsmanlike behaviour, driving in such a manner and merrily accepting penalties in order to aid a team mate ahead is not on. Deliberate manipulation of a race in that manner should be a breach in its own right.

The Marshalls have raised the mwttermeith the FIA, and rightly so. While there was no technical breach of regs and it didn't meet the threshold for unsportsmanlike behaviour, driving in such a manner and merrily accepting penalties in order to aid a team mate ahead is not on. Deliberate manipulation of a race in that manner should be a breach in its own right.

Williams should send him the bill for repairing their car as well!

Top Bottom