Motorway Junctions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Does anyone have problems with these?

For example take this one near Hedge End, Eastleigh. http://goo.gl/maps/JNHDU

It's bad enough that you have to navigate two junctions, with three lane traffic and speeding cars either side but the final turn onto Charles Watts Way leaves you in the middle of a three lane road, with cars funneling from the motorway to the left.
http://goo.gl/maps/aukU1

It's possible to take an alternative cycling friendly route but it does involve a bit of detour.

It's a shame that Southampton City Council and Eastleigh Council can't do so joined up thinking, as I think given the severity of traffic in that area, a dedicated cycle path between Southampton and Hedge End is essential.

As for Hedge End, it's like a vast industrial estate surrounded by dual carriage ways with little consideration given to cyclists or pedestrians.

OP
OP
Riverman

Riverman

Guru
[QUOTE 2542426, member: 30090"]Nope.

Treat them as though you was a car.

Centre of the lane, carry some speed, effective lifesavers before and after every junction and before you come off the rab.[/quote]

I think you can get used to them, however, I'd argue that they're very unsafe for cyclists regardless of how well you can navigate them. The fact you have cars hurtling around bends like that, within a sea of traffic, makes you more vulnerable in my opinion.

Some of us may have thick skin but I imagine navigating this junction would be enough to put some people off cycling on roads forever.

GrasB

Veteran
I think you can get used to them, however, I'd argue that they're very unsafe for cyclists regardless of how well you can navigate them. The fact you have cars hurtling around bends like that, within a sea of traffic, makes you more vulnerable in my opinion.
Not met a motorway junction that couldn't be navigated safely by bike as long, after gaining some local knowledge, as you're very positive & don't let your self get bullied out of good road position by motorists.

Howabout something like this? On the left it merges with a motorway, on the right it stays an A road? Should I take a detour before here, or carry on in the right-hand lane?

http://goo.gl/maps/Zcl22
My initial instinct is to hold what would be a secondary position for a left hand drive country in the off-side lane. On that road a lot will deepen on exactly how the local traffic works.

snorri

Legendary Member
Not met a motorway junction that couldn't be navigated safely by bike as long, after gaining some local knowledge, as you're very positive & don't let your self get bullied out of good road position by motorists.
Any part of a road network that requires the user to have the qualifying features you describe in order to safely pass through is clearly not fit for purpose.

I think I prefer rbts like that which are clearly laned and signalled as oppose to a smaller one which is a free for all. FWIW as I don't know the area Upper Northam Close/Drive looks like a good alternative which is not too much of a diversion and may actually be quicker.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Upper Northam Close/Drive looks like a good alternative which is not too much of a diversion and may actually be quicker.

Exactly what I thought when I looked at the map. I'd head for that, assuming they link up under the M27 that is (which it looks like they do). I've seen many a similar route on a map, got there and been met by a wall of motorway embankment in my way!

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Can't you use the Thornhill Park round about, 3rd exit to Upper Northern Drive, under the motorway then your in Hedge End.

OP
OP
Riverman

Riverman

Guru
I'll admit Upper Northam Drive is a good route to Hedge End, however, most of the time I go there, I go to shop at the vast retail park to the North, which is what most people associate with Hedge End.

It's worth noting that the stretch of Charles Watts Way before the motorway junction is relatively cycle friendly if a little fast paced when approaching the junction, whereas on the way back you tend to go slowly uphill whilst stuck in traffic. There's a kind of hard shoulder which doubles as a makeshift cycle lane. There is great potential to put a proper cycle lane there imo. By the way, the view to the left is in a strange way quite breathtaking, it really catches your eye. It turns out, it also has a lot of history to it.
http://www.westendlhs.hampshire.org.uk/telegwoods.html

MikeW-71

Veteran
Hmm, I prefer to avoid roads like that if at all possible, but if I do have to it's "middle of the lane and don't hang about"

Top Bottom