Mountain Bike or Hybrid

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bugner

Hello All,

My 1st post, realtively new to the cycling cimmunity. I have been cycling to work now for a couple of months on a Mountain Bike with road tyres and am looking to upgrade.

Majority of my cycling will be commuting, but will go off-road occasionally at weekends.

Do I upgrade to a better hard-tail mountain bike or get 700 size wheel hybrid?

Do the 700 size wheel make a big difference commuting and how much abuse can a hybrid take?

Welcome any advice or opinions:biggrin:

bonj2

Are you wanting to replace because your current bike's worn out, or because you're looking to get more out of it that your'e not getting at the moment?
If so, what? (Speed? comfort? ability to tackle rougher stuff with greater confidence? Looks/bling value?)
When you say you 'will go off road occasionally at weekends' - HOW off road are we talking? Are you intending to "get into proper mountain biking", or just do the odd tow path?
Do you want drop handlebars or flat?

Plax

Guru
I'd be inclined towards the hybrid if you are predominantly commuting via road. They are infinitely faster and generally lighter.
If you're going to occassionally go off road, how about keeping your current mountain bike and putting the nobbiles back on? Space permitting of course.
My hybrid has taken some abuse. I've ridden it in all weathers, regularly ride it down a pot holed road of speeds of up to 36 mph (seriously the 'puter says so!). I've even fallen off it and bent the rear mech. Thankfully it just pulled back into place ok. This is a middle of the range bike. I had an Apollo prior to that and it fell apart near enough the first month, so make sure you get a decent one.

OP
OP
Bugner

Bugner

Cheers for your responses. Answers to the questions are

looking to get more speed and ride more efficiently and get fitter
dont think I would get on with drop handle bars
wouldn't be going mad on the off road stuff, but want the hybrid to be able to handle the odd bump or two

So I think I am leaning toward sthe Hybrid, as Plax you say they are a lot faster and lighter!

The 2 models I have in mind are the Mongoose Crossway 850 and the Kona Dew FS?

Does anybody own these, or can anybody reccommend any alternatives?

Bugner

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Personally I would keep the mountain bike you have for offroad, and get a proper road bike. You'll go faster on your commute, and drops really are better in traffic. More hand positions, more comfort, and narrower for filtering too.

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
I dont agree BentMikey. I got rid of a road bike because I didn't get on with the drops in traffic. IMO, a 'sit up and beg' styley is much better, especially during heavy traffic. It's what ever feels right I suppose.

OP - my advice would be to get a hybrid OR you can get a decent road bike but with straight bars (Giant and Bianchi to name a couple do them). Which is what I've got. Best of both worlds then - fast like a roady but still with the same controls as a MTB. ;)

Top Bottom