mountain bike saddle on road bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Danger of scornful glances from judgemental roadies. But do you really want those 'dragon's teeth' under you for 100s of km? Riders are 'up and down' on an MTB but that option is far less if riding a road bike efficiently.

Last edited:

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
I've seen many a roadie using Charge Spoon and Selle SMP saddles.

Odly enough, I've tried a few road ones on my MTB

Horses for Courses :becool:

I don't know much about sitting positions and frame angles and all that

But I always assumed that road bike saddle are made assuming that you are leaning further forward
Mtb sitting a bit more upright
Urban bikes - even more so

Hence that exact shape and design is made so that the pressure points are different and shaped a bit different

Kajjal

Guru
I use a mountain bike saddle on all my bikes road or mountain bike. It fits fine and is the right width for me, as well as being comfortable on long rides. Just choose what works best for you.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
different types of saddle for different types of riding ? sounds like marketing spiel :smile:

Use what works for you

All this makes me 'homesick' for the saddle on my old Peugeot 10 speed that I had from when I was a teenager up to when some no-mark nicked it when I was in my 30s
Leather saddle that looked in perfect condition in spite of many miles
during which the saddle and my relevant parts had moulded themselves so they fitted perfectly

although I strongly suspect that I have changed shape a little bit in the last 30 years!!!

Ajax Bay

Guru
The only item I saved from my schooldays 'racing' bike was the Brooks 'Competition' saddle. When I started long distance stuff it came into its own, with maybe 30,000km till the rivet holes stretched. Brilliantly I found another, a couple of years older ('74), in good condition, and I use it for all 200km and overs and for most of the summers.
1653406936660.png

Top Bottom