Mountain bike shifter compatibility with road deraillieurs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nibor

Bewildered
HI Long story short a friend of mine needs to convert her drop barred bike to flat bars, she is running 2 x 9 Shimano sora on the bike and I have a set of 3 x 9 Acera shifters in the spares box. Does anybody know if this will work? I could suck it and see but i would rather get the bits together I know will work beforehand rather than doing a suck it and see.

Thanks in advance.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
HI Long story short a friend of mine needs to convert her drop barred bike to flat bars, she is running 2 x 9 Shimano sora on the bike and I have a set of 3 x 9 Acera shifters in the spares box. Does anybody know if this will work? I could suck it and see but i would rather get the bits together I know will work beforehand rather than doing a suck it and see.

Thanks in advance.
Change the rear mech to an Acera 9 speed?

C R

Guru
You needed to check the pull ratios, I think they are the same for mtb and road derailleurs up to nine speed (Shimano) but looking at the data sheet should confirm.

si_c

Guru
Front should work OK, you'll need to set the high and low stop points properly so it doesn't overshift. You'll have an extra click - but it won't act like the trim on the dual shifters will and it might require a little tweaking to get it to where you're happy, but it should be possible.

The rear will work like normal.

Reactions: C R

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You needed to check the pull ratios, I think they are the same for mtb and road derailleurs up to nine speed (Shimano) but looking at the data sheet should confirm.
They are. I went the other way from flat bar Deore nine speed to drops with nine speed Sora.

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom