Mountain bikes under £200

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jack shepherd

hi everyone, im planning on treating myself to a new mountain bike. i would like to know if anyone has got any websites for hardtail mountain bikes under £200, ive looked on halfords and found a nice apollo feud bike. also are cheap mountain bikes any gd. i dont do extreme off roading but i use gravelly, mudding, bumpy grass tracks. thanks for the help. :smile:

Garethgas

To be honest, although I'm not a bike snob (I often ride a carrera subway from Halfords), the Apollo range is not a very well made bike and I certainly wouldn't buy one.
At the £200 mark, I think you'd get a lot more bike for your money second hand.
My subway cost me £50 6 years ago, although that's a hybrid.
Most bikes will be better than an apollo.

KneesUp

Guru
Agree with @Garethgas - at £200 you'll get a better bike second hand. I'd perhaps budget £100 for the bike and £100 for fettling. My MTB is used four or five times a week and has cost me the price of a pair of brake pads in parts so far. It will need a new chain soon but because it's an old bike with 'only' an 8 speed cassette the chains are cheap. It's made from Tange Prestige tubing, and was (inflation adjusted) £800 or so new in 1991. I paid £26 for it.

A new £200 bike will be loss enjoyable to own and ride in my opinion, because of the cost saving and compromises made in it's manufacture. Get a good old bike and you can of course replace parts as they wear out but you will be attaching the new parts to a good frame.

Have a look on eBay and Preloved and post any finds you're interested in on here - someone is sure to give you advice :smile:

Kevoffthetee

On the road to nowhere
Going a bit further, is there anything we could be looking for In the second hand market. For racers I now keep an eye out for Reynolds 531 bike/frames in its various guises but is there a mtb kit to look out for?

I have a Raleigh max ogre but it weights a ton and I'd like something a bit lighter

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
From experience I wouldn't really recommend Apollo. Do you really need suspension? Personally I wouldn't bother with it for the kind of riding you mention, in which case the Carrera Subway would be a good option and is frequently "on sale".

If you really must have suspension and it has to be that cheap you might find something from Decathlon that would suit - these seem to be generally better than their rivals in the same price range.

OP
OP
jack shepherd

jack shepherd

thanks for the tips.. i would like a hardtail bike as i sometimes go over jumps etc... i dont want a full suspension bike as they are too much mantainace..... i wanna cheap hardtail mountain bike so i can slowly upgrade it when the parts get worn....

vickster

Legendary Member
Look at the decathlon rockrider range, they fare well in reviews as great vfm

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-340-mountain-bike-grey-white-id_8231773.html

There's a store in Thurrock

If you go the halfords route, look into British cycling membership, £32, 10% off at halfords, other great benefits

ScotiaLass

Guru
I ride a Halfords http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_810721_langId_-1_categoryId_165499.
It don't have lock out evidently (what ever that is, and what use i would find it?) I use it on the road and trails,and find it ok.
Lockout is for locking the front suspension...I use mine when on cycle paths or roads. It conserves energy as you don't bounce around!
It is a handy feature, especially if you are riding on hard surfaces and don't require the suspension.

OP
OP
jack shepherd

jack shepherd

vickster

Legendary Member
Looks dreadful and full sus at £170 will be made of cheese! Go to Thurrock and look at them. You may find an older model in the clearance

Top Bottom