Mountain bikes under £200

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
jack shepherd

jack shepherd

I think you need to decide what you want. At the budget you have I'd very strongly recommend not getting full suspension. It will be heavy and inefficient.

that it a good point, a hardtail bike will be easier to maintain, more fun to ride and look better. those rockrider bikes are very nice , the reviews they have are varied, but most people have gd reviews for it.

vickster

Legendary Member
It's a very good bike for £170...it would be for £500. Sometimes reviews forget the cost and what else a similar budget would get, like an Apollo from halfords ;)

OP
OP
jack shepherd

jack shepherd

It's a very good bike for £170...it would be for £500. Sometimes reviews forget the cost and what else a similar budget would get, like an Apollo from halfords ;)
oh.. £500. im always at a disadvantage when it comes to buying a mountain bike, i can only usually afford a cheap apollo or similar mtb, but they dont last me as long as a really expensive mtb does. but i will treat myslef to one of those rockrider bikes. thanks

sight-pin

Veteran

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hi Jack. The Apollo Feud is probably not a bad bike. The frame is steel and the components basic. At 15 kg it's a little heavy but manageable. IMO you can do without suspension foks, they will make very little difference to ride comfort and add a lot of weight. With your budget you could get yourself an older but still good MTB. I bought a nice Trek 8300 from 1993 recently, weighed less than 10kg for about £100, was originally sold for $1000 when new.
image.jpg

How about this, starting at £55, not a great spec but clean and looks serviceable....http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mens-Rayl...1499330773?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item3ce29320d5 and maybe not too far from you in Chelmsford.

OP
OP
jack shepherd

jack shepherd

thanks, i dont mind heavy bikes, its just the fact they need to take a bit of punishment thats all...... i will have to see, i would like to get the apollo feud, as i wanna get chain degreaser etc to maintain the bike properly....

OP
OP
jack shepherd

jack shepherd

basicly.... i wanna mtb that is basic but sturdy and strong, i will have enough money to buy parts for it, but im hopeing the parts on it last bout 5-6 months before they decide to fail......

OP
OP
jack shepherd

jack shepherd

thanks, i do like the roackrider, its a nice looking bike, and looks sturdy for what i want... its it a gd bike? and if thats all i need to clean a chain... i wont bother with chain cleaning products then.........

KneesUp

Guru
You want solid, you don't mind weight, and you want cheap? I got both of these (in two separate purchases) for a total of £57. The purple one was £31, the blue one £26. The purple one has had a new bottom bracket (done by LBS because I couldn't get the old one out) and has a replacement crankset on because the left crank was damaged). The blue one could do with a new chain, but is perfectly rideable. They both have Tange tubing (double-butted in the purple one) and would have cost £1000 and £800 (adjusted for inflation) when new, and still ride in exactly the same way. They just came with chips to the paint rather than acquired them under my ownership :smile:

13937593723_dff795d12a_z.jpg
13947880574_6ced57d9c8_z.jpg

OP
OP
jack shepherd

jack shepherd

thanks for the offer, but id rather get the roackrider.... i know hardtail bikes are heavier because of the suspension, but i like hadtail bikes because of the extra bounce....

KneesUp

Guru
thanks for the offer, but id rather get the roackrider.... i know hardtail bikes are heavier because of the suspension, but i like hadtail bikes because of the extra bounce....
What offer? I was just giving you examples of the sort of bike you said you wanted at one point in the thread, for not much money at all.

You do know that another way to think of 'bounce' is 'wasted energy'? . I don't do extreme off roading, but I do ride on gravel tracks, towpaths and so on - you really don't need suspension (which is heavier, more complicated, more expensive and less efficient than forks) for that sort of riding.

OP
OP
jack shepherd

jack shepherd

What offer? I was just giving you examples of the sort of bike you said you wanted at one point in the thread, for not much money at all.

You do know that another way to think of 'bounce' is 'wasted energy'? . I don't do extreme off roading, but I do ride on gravel tracks, towpaths and so on - you really don't need suspension (which is heavier, more complicated, more expensive and less efficient than forks) for that sort of riding.

soz.. my mistake. true. but 1 thing i will say, where i live is in a estate, and the quickest way out of the estate is by 2 paths, both have steps along the way because the estate is on a hill. i like having suspension on a ike because of the steps, i ride down them as its more fun and quicker, ive currently got a raleigh no suspension bike... second hard but its a rough rider... but thanks for the help everyone, ive decied to get a rockrider... once ive got paid i will get one.... :smile:

Top Bottom