Mountain Biking Vacation Ideas

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Biking4Heart

Regular
Being in the U.S.A and have never done any biking out of the U.S. I thought I'd pose this questions... Maybe get some reference points for the future.

Q: If you were me... Where would you go, that you have never been to do some Mountain Biking? ... And Why?

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
I think much has to depend on what level of mtber you are. I'm very much a lightweight (in skills, but alas not in body weight) so I just stick to aerobic xc. There's no way I'd want to do a black diamond with drop offs! (and I've never been to Vietnam in Milford either :smile:

So I'd like to do something that isn't technically challenging but in a totally different environment. Moab comes to mind (OK, the easy trails that is!). I'd also like to do moorland as well -I'm not even sure there's an equivalent in the USA, but again that's from just wanting to be in a completely different environment to the rocky rooty New England woods. Thinking about it, I suppose I have to say I'd want there to be hills no matter where!

Some random thoughts then:

Moab, USA
Lake/Peak District UK

and I wonder what Patagonia is like?

Being in the U.S.A and have never done any biking out of the U.S. I thought I'd pose this questions... Maybe get some reference points for the future.

Q: If you were me... Where would you go, that you have never been to do some Mountain Biking? ... And Why?

lazyfatgit

Derby, Tasmania.

Looked well set up when drove through earlier this year. No idea how tough the trails are but it's a short flight from here so will definitely visit in the future.

Let me start off by saying that I'm a tourer, not a MTBer, although I use an old Trek MTB for touring.

I suppose it depends on what you mean by MTBing? Do you want a long distance route suggestion? Do you want to move from place to place or stay put in one place and ride local routes? Camping or hotels? The more info you supply, the more suggestions you'll get.

I want to do some practise on some off-road routes in advance of a big, big trip I'm planning.
I'm looking at Camino del Cid, a route in Spain from Burgos (North) to Alicante (South East) with car/bike/MTB variations - about 1200 km. It's not a technically challenging MTB route, but different to riding on a road. Lots of wide open space with no people around. And hills! I live in NL and we don't have many hills ^_^, nor lots of space with no people around!

I'm sure there are places you could base yourself in and ride a different MTB route every day if that's your thing.

I’ve done some great MTB rides across Scotland, The Alps, Whistler, Banf, Morocco, Trinidad and a bunch of places across the US. I’ve found companies that do guided MTB tours and hooked up with them or more recently, like Whistler and Park City, gone to places with well mapped trail networks.

I met a couple of guys from Oregan during a MTB tour in Scotland which led to trip to their neck of woods to ride McKenzie RIver and other local trails.

The big reason why to go somewhere completely different to go ride is to meet interesting people, those on the ride and those you’ll meet along the way, and to see an area from a very different perspective.

Make sure to travel with a decent company and if possible take your own bike. Renting can be ok, but I’ve always found I miss not riding a bike I’m used to.

I’ve been looking at sacredrides.com recently as them seem to get good reviews and run tours in some interesting places.

Oh and save up and spend the money. It’s not going to be cheap, but it is going to be worth it.

Top Bottom