Mountain Warehouse cycling jackets - any experiences please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DiggyGun

I’ve had one of their Yellow cycling waterproof and breathable jackets for number of years. It has been out in heavy rain quite a few times, with no leaks. Kept me nice and dry, very breathable as there is no dampness.

Been very pleased with it. Much better than the Regatta version as this was not very breathable and I was often damp.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
I personally dont like MW, I think the clothes are poor quality.
Why dont you look for an Altura or Endura jacket? that wont break the bank and at least you know it should be o.k.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Thanks all - pretty universally panned then which I guess isn't unfair or unexpected since they're a budget brand.

Shame as the fit was good it looked OK and of course I could try it on, but yeah - probably asking a bit much given the price.

It did feel a bit instantly warm trying it on, although maybe that wasn't especially fair given how hot it was yesterday.

I'm not averse to spending a bit of money but it's always a pain not being able to try stuff on locally and I can't be arsed with the faff of mail order returns. Equally I know there is some decent budget stuff out there (I have some pretty cheap Craghoppers walking trousers that have served me very well) however I think the more technical it gets the more you need to spend the money to get stuff that's worth having.

I'll look into some of the alternatives suggested - Decathlon being a good shout as there's a branch local and I want to take a look at their shorts anyway :smile:

EDIT I: Looks like I've just found it on Amazon - reviews are good so maybe I'll have a deeper trawl to see how encouraging the specifics are..
EDIT II: Reviews apparently confirm that it's as breathable as a bin bag, so that's that written off :tongue:

Absolutely nothing breathable breathes if it is raining.

Been using Goretex and similar jackets in the mountains (hiking & climbing) for years and if it rains and you're active your sweat just builds up inside your jacket.

This is why decent outdoors jackets tend to have vented tunnel pockets, pit zips and even forearm zips to help remove perspiration.

My budget Altura cycling jacket performs no better and no worse in rainy conditions than my Patagonia, Berghaus and Arcteryx hiking gear. The latter two costing a heck of a lot more than my Altura.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I personally dont like MW, I think the clothes are poor quality.
Why dont you look for an Altura or Endura jacket? that wont break the bank and at least you know it should be o.k.
Top marks for resurrecting this thread on its birthday - predictably this dilemma is still relevant to me :sad:

To be fair to MW I have one of their lightweight shirts, and recently bought some lightweigh 3/4 length shorts and so far they've been decent - striking a nice balance between on-bike coolness and at-work presentability (within limits of course). Granted I can see the cheaper stuff falling down when it comes to more technical stuff like jackets.

All the Altura and Endura stuff seems to get middling reviews, and unfortunately there's nowhere local (that I'm aware of) where I can actually try it on. Even if there was I'd probably baulk at the cost given how much end of line clothing is often reduced to online.

Maybe I'm wide of the mark but I seem more comfortable than paying naff all for something that just about gets the job done or a load of money on something I know will be really good.. rather than middling money for something of middling performance.

I nearly bought a Brompton-branded Endura jacket, but they sold out while I was still mincing over whether to commit..

Absolutely nothing breathable breathes if it is raining.

Been using Goretex and similar jackets in the mountains (hiking & climbing) for years and if it rains and you're active your sweat just builds up inside your jacket.

This is why decent outdoors jackets tend to have vented tunnel pockets, pit zips and even forearm zips to help remove perspiration.

My budget Altura cycling jacket performs no better and no worse in rainy conditions than my Patagonia, Berghaus and Arcteryx hiking gear. The latter two costing a heck of a lot more than my Altura.

Thanks - that's an interesting observation and something I'd not considered. I have a pretty nice Mountain Equipment jacket (I think their entry point for those that actually have the Gore-Tex membrane rather than a DWR treatment) and that feels good so far for breathability; however I've not really used it a lot over a range of conditions. It has armpit vents which I appreciate in principle, however the stiffness of the zips exacerbates the high pit location and feels somewhat invasive..

Another potential reason for going more expensive is that it seems DWR coatings (as found on cheaper coats) are more susceptable to abrasion; so probably no good if worn with a rucksack. I do have an old North Face Resolve that could potentially be pressed into service; however it's now a sponge and past attempts to re-proof it have failed, while the fabric on the shoulders is noticeably thin after years of use with a rucksack; so supect it would be on borrowed time from that perspective too.

Last edited:

All uphill

Still rolling along
I bought an Altura jacket 5 years ago and found it decent.

A year ago I bought a supposedly identical replacement, direct from Altura, which has had two zips replaced and studs pulling out; the fit was uncomfortably closer under the armpits.
It's now in the bin.

The old one is still serviceable.

One data point, but also one customer who won't be going back.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Top marks for resurrecting this thread on its birthday - predictably this dilemma is still relevant to me :sad:

To be fair to MW I have one of their lightweight shirts, and recently bought some lightweigh 3/4 length shorts and so far they've been decent - striking a nice balance between on-bike coolness and at-work presentability (within limits of course). Granted I can see the cheaper stuff falling down when it comes to more technical stuff like jackets.

All the Altura and Endura stuff seems to get middling reviews, and unfortunately there's nowhere local (that I'm aware of) where I can actually try it on. Even if there was I'd probably baulk at the cost given how much end of line clothing is often reduced to online.

Maybe I'm wide of the mark but I seem more comfortable than paying naff all for something that just about gets the job done or a load of money on something I know will be really good.. rather than middling money for something of middling performance.

I nearly bought a Brompton-branded Endura jacket, but they sold out while I was still mincing over whether to commit..

Thanks - that's an interesting observation and something I'd not considered. I have a pretty nice Mountain Equipment jacket (I think their entry point for those that actually have the Gore-Tex membrane rather than a DWR treatment) and that feels good so far for breathability; however I've not really used it a lot over a range of conditions. It has armpit vents which I appreciate in principle, however the stiffness of the zips exacerbates the high pit location and feels somewhat invasive..

Another potential reason for going more expensive is that it seems DWR coatings (as found on cheaper coats) are more susceptable to abrasion; so probably no good if worn with a rucksack. I do have an old North Face Resolve that could potentially be pressed into service; however it's now a sponge and past attempts to re-proof it have failed, while the fabric on the shoulders is noticeably thin after years of use with a rucksack; so supect it would be on borrowed time from that perspective too.

DWR is a pretty lightweight final finish on some jackets. Never lasts for ever and its disappearance would never be noticed visually by looking at the fabric. It's just the effect, or lack of, that is noticeable.

Triple layer membranes are tough but thick. Although 2 layer which is much tjinner and has an 'exposed' inner layer lasts a long time too.

My Patagonia lightweight, but highly specced, mountain jacket is 11 or 12 years old and has been hard used; it shows no wear on the outside where ruckstrap straps have been for many hours - just a couple of tiny bits on the inner layer.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Have you looked at the blue Halfords jacket.
I might get one as I have some vouchers. Hi Vis in the dark, smart enough to wear off the bike!

Thanks - I'd not considered Halfords but that's potentially a decent idea if I can actually try stuff on (in-branch stock permitting of course; which is probably a big factor). I too have vouchers that I could spend there, so that would be another win potentially. I note they're also doing a couple of promos (10% off orders over £40, 20% off three items of clothing).

Were you considering the blue Ridge jacket at £25, or the blue Boardman at £45? Both seem to have decent reviews and I particularly like the look of the Boardman. I was also vaguely tempted by the orange Ridge jacket from a visibility perspective; however appreciate how this might look less presentable than the blue flavour when off the bike.

I bought an Altura jacket 5 years ago and found it decent.

A year ago I bought a supposedly identical replacement, direct from Altura, which has had two zips replaced and studs pulling out; the fit was uncomfortably closer under the armpits.
It's now in the bin.

The old one is still serviceable.

One data point, but also one customer who won't be going back.
Thanks - sounds like another to avoid then, tbh.

Endura seem to be a better bet for middle-of-the-road stuff :smile:

DWR is a pretty lightweight final finish on some jackets. Never lasts for ever and its disappearance would never be noticed visually by looking at the fabric. It's just the effect, or lack of, that is noticeable.

Triple layer membranes are tough but thick. Although 2 layer which is much tjinner and has an 'exposed' inner layer lasts a long time too.

My Patagonia lightweight, but highly specced, mountain jacket is 11 or 12 years old and has been hard used; it shows no wear on the outside where ruckstrap straps have been for many hours - just a couple of tiny bits on the inner layer.
Indeed; I think something with a separate layer is probably a better bet than a DWR coating alone; however this of course pushes the price up.
To be fair my North Face jacket had a proper hammering as a daily for years, so it's not lasted badly. Come to think of it the lining's disintegrating too so probably best written off (although I'm loathe to get rid of it, despite it now being totally useless).

I'm hoping the ME jacket will last longer on account of its construction; however am still not 100% sold on the fit, but I digress... hammering it down out there today - good opportunity to test it out if I had some appropriate trousers!

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
If you're in Mountain warehouse/ Boardman price range have a look at Galibier. Much, much better quality for the money.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
You want a poncho

IMG_5338.jpeg

Top Bottom