Mounting Contour Roam on helmet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just got myself a contour roam will all the mounting options for a helmet.

I would like to ask all the experiance camera users out there, where is the best place to mount your camera on your helmet? Side or top?

I was thinking the top would be good but I'm not sure if I can get the angle right, I don't want the camera pointing down where I am not looking.
My main option was the right hand side as I would like to keep my exposure joystick light on the top.
However I am not sure on the contour sticky side mounts. Are these adhesive mounts good enough? Do you need to provide a bit of extra zip tie security?

Also if I secure say to the right hand side of my helmet have you found that side roads on the left are obscured by the helmet?

Many thanks

BSRU

A Human Being
It is personal preference as to whether on top or on the side.
I would not bother with the sticky mounts and would use/buy the vented helmet mount.

OP
OP
S

Sore Thumb

Guru
It is personal preference as to whether on top or on the side.
I would not bother with the sticky mounts and would use/buy the vented helmet mount.

Got the vented mount kit. It still does not seem the raise the camera enough. I might bodge job it and put some more rubber under the front part if the mount to raise it up a bit more.

Also got to think where to put my light as I use it during the day.
Just worried now that I am going to look like a complete noob.
But it will be worth it because if my on going battle with a motorist who hit me. I say it's his fault and He is saying its mine, even though he admitted liability at the time. I've got insurance but its still stressful. He caused damage to my bike but I also put a big dent in the side of his car.

I was on a mini island and he was on wrong side if road and went round island the wrong way. I was just past the white blob in centre when he crossed my path, I had no wear to go so hit side of his car.

sabian92

Über Member
I put it on the top.

I'll post a photo of my lid later. The mount on mine is on the middle "setting" as it were and it looks fine. Have a look at my YouTube channel to see what it looks like.

Got the vented mount kit. It still does not seem the raise the camera enough. I might bodge job it and put some more rubber under the front part if the mount to raise it up a bit more.

But it will be worth it because if my on going battle with a motorist who hit me. I say it's his fault and He is saying its mine, even though he admitted liability at the time. I've got insurance but its still stressful. He caused damage to my bike but I also put a big dent in the side of his car.

I was on a mini island and he was on wrong side if road and went round island the wrong way. I was just past the white blob in centre when he crossed my path, I had no wear to go so hit side of his car.

What a dick. Wrong side of the road and he's blaming you? Sounds like he doesn't want to admit he's wrong and have bigger premiums.

Screw the dent in his car, it's what he gets for driving like a knob.

sabian92

Über Member

Here's my ROAM mounted as promised:

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I have a contour ROAM mounted on my helmet with the vented helmet mount and an exposure joystick, it's not hard.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
I have a Contour HD, which I'm guessing will have the same helmet mount. I use the top as I found on the side I would get part of my helmet in shot thanks to the wide angle lens. But whatever way you go, the camera mount plate can be awkward to get to sit still on the helmet vents. To get by this, use some of that thick felt padding you get in DIY shops designed to stop the feet of chairs damaging some floors. Just cut it to size and wedge it under and it should cut down on camera wobble. I also wedge a little bit of folded card between the camera body and the plate as there is a little gap here and the camera can move a few millimeters. Doesn't sound much, but blow it up onto a monitor and it looks awful.

Top Bottom