Mounting Garmin on ICE Trike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I'm fettling the trike ready for (hopefully) a Summer of miles on it. I've not been getting on with the location or mounting of the Garmin. Currently attached to a Minoura Space Grip (which is in turn attached to the RHS mirror mount) via an out front mount. Whilst it's easy access, it bounces around a lot, and I'd rather have it in front of me.
The cage mount option on the boom is too low, so I thought about fitting something like a stem cap Garmin mount onto the end of the front derailleur post. I've had a bit of a play with the existing plastic push fit end cap, but due to a lack of material it's difficult to make it secure enough.
Anybody got any other ideas?

Would a 31.8mm adjustable handlebar stem fit the derailleur post ??
If it does then fit the mount to the end of the stem.
That way you can easily adjust the angle via the stem while the mount is fixed solid to the end of the stem.

Always Cross

Veteran
If the Garmin is on the derailleur post won’t it be too far away to see properly. I’ve mounted mine on the ICE mirror mount just the round attachment not the out front one.

OP
OP
cosmicbike

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
If the Garmin is on the derailleur post won’t it be too far away to see properly. I’ve mounted mine on the ICE mirror mount just the round attachment not the out front one.

I thought that originally, but my quick and dirty set up last night puts the Garmin 800 at a nice place for me. Admittedly I'd have to lean forwards to press buttons, but that's not something I tend to do once underway.

OP
OP
cosmicbike

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Would a 31.8mm adjustable handlebar stem fit the derailleur post ??
If it does then fit the mount to the end of the stem.
That way you can easily adjust the angle via the stem while the mount is fixed solid to the end of the stem.

I like that idea, cheers:okay:

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
I have mine (an Etrex) in a RAM MOUNT cradle (https://www.ram-mount.co.uk/) paired with a large diameter pipe clamp (ok, a plate and a jubilee clip) and a double socket arm (also from RAM).

The clamp goes around any part of the frame I fancy, the arm brings it close enough to see, and the cradle holds the device. Better yet, I have ball sockets on each of my other bikes too, so that i can move the QR arm with cradle from bike to bike, as required.

OP
OP
cosmicbike

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Found a variation of the theme suggested by @Tigerbiten , a Minoura Swing Grip, spied at SJS Cycles whilst browsing. I figure to mount it so the swing arm is under the derailleur mount, which moved the Garmin about 6" (or whatever the arm length is) nearer, so seems to tick the boxes

My Garmin 810 is mounted on the derallieur post via a Minoura Space Grip. An ideal position as I can keep an eye on my cadence without shifting my eyes too much from the road ahead. And I have a Garmin Remote on the handlebars to switch between screens, etc - works very nicely (though sometimes the remote refuses to talk to the main unit). I zip tied my cadence sensor (Wahoo RPM) so that I can transfer between machines no problem. I’m not sure if the remote works with the 800 though.

zoxed

Über Member
I use a standard headset mount. I can reach the buttons without moving.

OP
OP
cosmicbike

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I use a standard headset mount. I can reach the buttons without moving.

Do you mean a stem cap mount? I'd like to see pics if possible please? Whilst I have a Swing Grip on the way, I'm sure I could use it for lighting instead...

Top Bottom