Mouse bait?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adam4868

Guru
Well, my twosome take care of any micees that enter into the house, but I use traps in the garage as there are things in there that do not go terribly well with cats...
My cat is a killer ! Drives me nuts bringing stuff to the back door...frogs are the worst.They make a horrific noise when tortured by a cat.☹️
But no mice since we got her,we live near a park and golf course and had quite a few.

My cat is a killer ! Drives me nuts bringing stuff to the back door...frogs are the worst.They make a horrific noise when tortured by a cat.☹
But no mice since we got her,we live near a park and golf course and had quite a few.

Lexi is a pretty dab hunter as well. I get everything from shrews to wood pigeons and just about everything else in between. Poppy is what I'd call a hobbyist in comparison. Her specialty are rabbits...

Adam4868

Guru
Lexi is a pretty dab hunter as well. I get everything from shrews to wood pigeons and just about everything else in between. Poppy is what I'd call a hobbyist in comparison. Her specialty are rabbits...
What cultered cats...mine just has the "if it moves kill it ! " She even goes after flies,with some success i must say.

mrs roadrash had a shock last night , she heard one of the cats unpstairs , when she checked , she found rusty under the bed, he wasn't alone he had brought a crow with him, feathers everywhere.

Oh yes, when they start plucking a bird or rabbit inside the house, that's when you find out the real definition of "mess" :laugh:

Wobblers

Euthermic
thanks but should have said I was after a humane one.
Which my brit wonder is - when I got up the door on it was closed - couldn't quite believe there was anything in it as I could feel no struggling/wobbling when I picked it up - took it outside, opened it and the thing ran happily off. Must have been a cool philosophical mouse just biding its time.

oh by the by - it had left a bit of crap in there - those small round balls - I left that in when I rebaited with some other stuff as I had the idea that that might attract others - give other creatures the feeling that they were returning to a previously colleague-tested source of food.

Would folk recommend I leave that or take it out?

Damp mouse droppings contain leptospirosis, which can give you a very nasty illness. Make sure you don't have any cuts or grazes on you hands when handling the trap, or wear gloves. It's best to release the mouse far away from your house, otherwise it'll be back tonight.

As for bait, I've found that strawberry jam, cheese and peanut butter all work.
The jam was licked off the trip plate without springing it.
The cheese was lifted off the trip plate without springing the trap (little sods!).
The peanut butter worked very well. I think that because it's sticky, the mouse needs to make more of an effort to get the bait off the plate so is more likely to spring the trap.

classic33

Leg End Member
I've seen butter used. But I've used marmite, bacon & chocolate on traps.

Not all at the same time.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
My parents used to have a periodic (mainly winter) mouse problem. Mice used to get into their cellar from the surrounding fields. They found the mice were choosy and it seemed to vary both from one year to another, but also in the same season. The cartoon stereotype cheese worked, but in the same season the mice also developed a sweet tooth and a grain taste at different times.
The droppings are a sign of them passing through, but look carefully at what they have sampled.

numbnuts

Legendary Member

Attachments

• gotcha.jpg
    gotcha.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 3
Top Bottom