Mouse bait?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
We've had reasonable luck with crunchy peanut butter. Rentokil Advanced

traps are the dogs bollocks, BTW.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Humane traps will (sadly) just see the mice come straight back to you. Unless you're releasing a long way away.
The white plastic traps that come in pre baited packs of 2 in Pounstretcher work really well, again and again. Mine caught about 30 mice in a few months out in the garage where the mice had been happily chewing up all of my worldly posessions.

Slioch

Guru
Peanut butter + Tom & Jerry style mousetrap.

We've got two cats, and they're operating on an American style "catch and release" policy, unfortunately on the indoors side of the cat flap. We always seem to have a mouse under the telly or under the couch. Peanut butter works a treat. Fairly terminal for the poor wee mousey, but hey! We had one that lived under the fridge for several weeks, and the destruction it caused was dis-proportionate to it's size.

Last edited:

12boy

Guru
I read that dog kibble was great, having had cheese and peanut butter neatly eaten without springing the trap. The kibble was gnawed but also without springing, so I found the idea of using hot glue to attach the kibble and that worked although the kibble wasn't as alluring as I'd hoped so I hot glued bits of almond and that worked pretty well. I do not like listening to them scurrying around in the house. I've read ferrets go to town on mice, but ever since Ferret Faucet Major passed away where to find one?

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Where did you release it, hope it was a good distance away or you're probably just recycling the same one.
on the front lawn.
I did wonder but it was dark and I didn't want to go further.
Have no idea about mice sense of direction/ability to track back to their adopted home.
Thanks for advice.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Humane traps will (sadly) just see the mice come straight back to you. Unless you're releasing a long way away.
The white plastic traps that come in pre baited packs of 2 in Pounstretcher work really well, again and again. Mine caught about 30 mice in a few months out in the garage where the mice had been happily chewing up all of my worldly posessions.
noted - next time will take further away.
Not too far needed surely?
as long as they would have to pass other houses to get back to me surely I'll be fine?
Can't believe that they are especially attracted to me.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Mice I've had have always gone mad for grain bait.

Last deployment was behind the cooker - I heard mouse activity within a minute or two of putting down the bait.

I know you are after a humane solution, but a few grains would likely do the job and also not do the mouse any long term harm, just give it a poorly tummy.

The instructions say the mouse may need to take several doses of bait before it's killed.

Curiously, it also says rats will be killed with fewer portions - one might think the bigger animal would need more to kill it.

Various brands available, but the stuff I've had has always been greeny blue so may have been made by the same manufacturer.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Thanks for the reply but i find it hard to believe that the average mouse would find its way back to me from two miles away. I will however take any future ones further past at least 20 houses.

Top Bottom