Moving from a Venge to Tarmac or Roubaix...?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stridertexas

I know, I know. This topic has been beaten to death on all the forums. But I need help.

5 years ago I bought an S-Works Venge frameset for a killer deal & spec'd it out with DuraAce everything and Zipp 404's. I was coming from a Madone 5.2SL and riding about 75-125 miles a week.

The first year, I loved the Venge. It made riding fun again with it's responsiveness, but I did notice that I was more fatigued and beat up after each ride.

Fast forward a few more years, and I've found myself riding less and less due to young kids and a stressful job. Now, in my current condition and trying to build myself back up, at age (36), I feel like the Venge is beating me up.

I went to my LBS and they told me to get either a Trek Edmonda or a Roubaix. They had an S-Works Tarmac there that just looks super sweet. But I don't want to be blinded by my love and geekiness with bikes, and not get one that fits my riding style and abilities again.

So would moving to an S-Works Tarmac or Roubaix be a vastly noticeable difference in comfort? I realize one can play with tire sizes too now that can help.

I had a similar experience with choosing the wrong bike as I had an S-Works Epic MTB, and it beat me up badly, but I thought I wanted the "best" so I got the "best". After a year or two on that, I went with a 2016 Stumpjumper Expert, and have loved that transition more than anything. That bike is so much better for me. I know moving from a 26" to 650 wheel made a difference too.

I guess I'm just looking for real-life advice and experiences out there, if anyone was ever in my situation.

For the record, I'm currently riding about 10-12 miles, 2-3x a week now. I'm hopeful that throughout 2018, I get that up to 50-75 miles per week.

vickster

Legendary Member
Can you not try them out for a proper testride?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Keep the great bike and use more comfortable tyres (wider) and tyre pressures (lower)! :okay:

I ride an old and stiff Cannondale CAAD5 on some very rough roads. If I want to get beaten up by my bike, all I have to do is use 23C tyres pumped to 100-120 psi. I want to be able to ride the bike in comfort so I use 25C tyres at 85-95 psi. Job done!

OP
OP
S

stridertexas

Can you not try them out for a proper testride?

The shop is not to keen on letting a $9k bike out for a test ride without jumping through a lot of hoops. But it's on my list.

Keep the great bike and use more comfortable tyres (wider) and tyre pressures (lower)! :okay:

I ride an old and stiff Cannondale CAAD5 on some very rough roads. If I want to get beaten up by my bike, all I have to do is use 23C tyres pumped to 100-120 psi. I want to be able to ride the bike in comfort so I use 25C tyres at 85-95 psi. Job done!

I'm currently running 23's at 90-95. I believe my 2012 frame won't allow for larger than 23's.... : \ someone correct me if I'm wrong.

The Tarmac's a race bike, as is the Venge, only slightly less extreme.

A Roubaix/Emonda will be softer and you'll sit higher - but it's about what you'll use it for.

I don't race. Just a bike geek who wants to "live the dream" and get miles in : )

OP
OP
S

stridertexas

My LBS told me that 23's are the widest tire I can run on this 2012 frame. No one was really riding 25-28's then is what I'm told...

I can't find anything online about this year frame running wider tires than 23...

vickster

Legendary Member
$9k bike for doing 50 miles a week sounds a lot but it’s your cash
A Roubaix here is around $3-4K tops

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
For that type of mileage i would spend about 1k on a bike ( probably less ) . Keep the venge and zipp wheels for doing longer rides when you have the time .
You have a race bike with race wheels and it wants to go ! I have a road and TT bike like that ( plus loads of race wheels ) and never manage an easy ride even when i plan one .

FishFright

More wheels than sense
I'm not going to tell you how much you should spend because I'm not that crass. If you're willing and able to throw $9k at a bike then why not?

I would advise you widen your net and try a few other options .
Carbon and race rarely equals comfort but the more endurance based Roubaix's and Emonda's should be a chunk less fatiguing especially with larger tyres.
You have the budget for some sweet Titanium and 28mm tyre which is where money would go.
Or if there's any rated builders in your area have a chat and see what they can offer in steel.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I would look at both the Roubaix and the Trek Domane, test ride them both your local bike shop surely will let you test certainly a cheaper lesser specc’d model, you will get a good idea of which you prefer.

OP
OP
S

stridertexas

I realize my budget and my abilities don’t coincide, but bikes are my thing and I enjoy them.

Just as I’m sure some people buy sports cars and can’t drive them fast.

Nevertheless, I went and talked with a mechanic and he advised to start with larger tires and a new saddle.

So we squeezed some Turbo 28’s on it and they work. And a 5 year old saddle may have lost some of its comfort so we switched that out too.

It’s very easy to get wrapped up in technicalities in the forums.

I’m hoping this buys me more time, as I do like the bike, and hope to regain some of my initial feelings of it.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm currently running 23's at 90-95. I believe my 2012 frame won't allow for larger than 23's.... : \ someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Oh, I'm surprised ... I was expecting you to come back and say you were using very high pressures! I'm surprised that the bike is that uncomfortable at those pressures.

I realize my budget and my abilities don’t coincide, but bikes are my thing and I enjoy them.

Nevertheless, I went and talked with a mechanic and he advised to start with larger tires and a new saddle.

So we squeezed some Turbo 28’s on it and they work. And a 5 year old saddle may have lost some of its comfort so we switched that out too.

I’m hoping this buys me more time, as I do like the bike, and hope to regain some of my initial feelings of it.
Ah, you posted again while I was typing. Don't forget to lower the pressures for the bigger tyres. I'd have thought you could perhaps get away with 80-85 psi.

Another thing to try if you haven't already is to use gel bar tape (or 2 layers of cork tape).

Spiderweb

Not So Special One

Sounds like a good plan, I hope it makes a difference, the venge is a fantastic bike, not worthy of retirement!
A pro bike fit may also be worth considering.

OP
OP
S

stridertexas

I started a few months ago lowering my PSI down from about 110.

While I noticed it helped, didn’t seem like enough.

I was thinking about doing 2 layers of cork...or running one layer under my current lizard skins...

Also I did invest in a pro bike fit when I bought it. Ended up putting a pedal extension on my left pedal years ago. Made all the knee pain go away!

Top Bottom