Moving out

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
When I had to rent for a few years I always photographed - and videoed the whole place before I moved in and made it clear to the agents that I had done so.

Saved me quite a bit - one flat had a tear in the carpet - no problem as it was just where I wanted the sofa - but when they inspected before I moved out they wanted to charge me for a new carpet!
Another place wanted to charge me for tidying up the garden - when it was massively better then when I moved in and the agreement said I had to 'maintain' the garden. I showed then the original and final photos and pointed out that I had improved it rather than maintained it!

Like most things - be friendly and polite and document everything!

BTW - the Gas cert (dunno about ELectric) is a legal requirement - they are breaking the law if there isn;t a current one - you might need to mention this!

OP
OP
postman

postman

Legendary Member
At the moment I cannot tell you who they are,but on the web they post glowing reports about themselves.Mrs P is upstairs in her craft room putting an email together.,good news is Leeds Hospitals have just rung and I have an ultra sound scan booked for 12-00 this Sunday.

si_c

Guru
I'd suggest reporting it to the council regardless of what Miss P chooses to do, at least that way you can be assured that there will be a third party involved, and they will keep this report on file in case there are other properties managed by the same people which have failed to meet reasonable habitable standards.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
A huge generalisation.
But the guy who attacked Chris whitty and the guy who sent racist abuse to the footballers were both estate agents.
To be fair the guy who posted the racist abuse, if his account wasn't hacked, is a management surveyor not an estate agent even though Savilles do have an estate agency function.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
To be fair the guy who posted the racist abuse, if his account wasn't hacked, is a management surveyor not an estate agent even though Savilles do have an estate agency function.

If it was him, he should be made to live in - and pay rent for - the dump in this thread, and told to use his professional expertise to sort it out.

Much cheaper than a pointless community order at court, and it would do some genuine good for society.

OP
OP
postman

postman

Legendary Member
Just had a text could we go back and photo the empty toilet seeing as it won't flush.So Mrs P has said yes.Me I would have said go yourself,you are supposed to have passed this for for habitation.Nobody in their right minds would have signed this off ready to live in.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Is she a student in Leeds...if so living in a hovel in Headingley/Hyde Park is all part of the experience... or it was in my day in the early 90s :laugh:

OP
OP
postman

postman

Legendary Member
No she was in Edinburgh for her degree then Covid hit hard,could not get a job so came home,got part time jobs and lived with us since April 2020.So it's been 15 months,she now has a full time job a good wage and has decided to move out,three of them have gone for this cottage.

OP
OP
postman

postman

Legendary Member
Ok update Mrs P has done an email with all the problems noted plus photo evidence.She has sent it to our daughter,she will now forward it to said Letting Agents,we await their reply and what and when they will do something.The ccleaners have been in again today responding to our complaints,they rang us and apologized for a lack of usual standards,so that has saved us doing some cleaning.

Last edited:
OP
OP
postman

postman

Legendary Member
Well she has decided to take the cottage problems and all.She is going to give them the chance to do the work they have promised.She said she is in the Union at work and will use them if any aggro.We have been back tonight and emptied both bins in to bin liners and put them out for collection by the letting agents work force or whoever.Tomorrow I start gardening this is the easy bit.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Is she a student in Leeds...if so living in a hovel in Headingley/Hyde Park is all part of the experience... or it was in my day in the early 90s :laugh:
I lived in some absolute death traps which would make Rigsby blush but it was all part of the fun when you are young. But we weren’t paying silly money and the landlord had no expectation of us looking after the place.

Regulations have improved quite rightly and rents are so high that tenants expectations are far higher.

OP
OP
postman

postman

Legendary Member
We are back oh the list got longer.we photographed everything,some serious damp water running out of external brickwork,resulting in inside damp,who effing inspects these places,well a reply to last night's e mail has come back a formal request to file a list to them just wait till today when they get the photos.Please please Miss P walk away just walk away this is going to be weeks of aggro.These people must be blind,outside glittering has flowers growing out of them I have photos now,down pipes blocked with sludge.It's a dump in my opinion the carpets are fit for the tip,how my daughter thinks this is acceptable I have no idea.our house has never been like this,even here uni places were not this bad.I am missed off but will do all I can but my hands are tied.oh and the toilet does not flush.
In your opening post you said you wouldn't guarantee the bond. So how is your daughter moving in?

One of my lads had similar, but apparently not as severe, problems. I refused to stand as guarantor. Problem solved.
Her heart is set on it and in the long term it will not be permanent.

Top Bottom