England : Lincolnshire Moving to Colsterworth, so which club?

Discussion in 'Cycling Clubs' started by buzzy-beans, 31 Aug 2017.

1. buzzy-beans

buzzy-beans Well-Known Member

Although under my Avatar it says I live at Woolsthorpe By Colsterworth, I actually don't move there until (fingers crossed) one week today, but as I have only just joined this forum I thought I would put it up as it stands.

However, the reason for my post is that after almost 30 years without doing any proper cycling and 50 years since I competed, I have decided to come out of retirement, by myself a road bike and get some miles under the wheels.

I am thinking of either joining a club or finding a group of like minded cycling gents who enjoy riding out together at a good pace (without actually killing themselves). I don't want to join any kind of club that is all about the great social life with full family involvement, I just want to find a group who go out once or twice a week for a darned good ride.

Does anyone out there know of any such group quite close to Colsterworth?

Many thanks

BB

2. S-Express

S-Express Guest

Got to be Bourne Wheelers...

https://bournewheelers.wordpress.com/

3. 13 rider

13 rider Veteran

2 clubs I've seen while out and about in that area are Witham Wheelers and Melton Olympic . There is a bike shop at Wymondham Windmill which I think runs a few rides but would be worth a visit for a chat and nice cafe next door very popular with riders . Very nice area for cycling lovely quiet lanes . Us Leicester Ccers come out that way sometimes keep on eye on forums rides you may want to tag along

buzzy-beans and raleighnut like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    buzzy-beans

Thanks for both of those, however having looked at their websites they don't exactly tick the kind of box I am looking for as they all appear to be family orientated, I should have said that I am looking for a club or group that is made up of adults as I generally speaking go out of my way to avoid children!

Now having undertaken a search, I hope I have found what I am looking for and right on my doorstep, namely the Gravity Cycling Club at Colsterworth, which is for people over the age of 16. It would appear that it is only a very small group of 15 members, so as the expression goes, "we shall see".

13 rider likes this.
  5. S-Express

S-Express Guest

You missed the Bourne Wheelers link then?

6. OP
    OP
    buzzy-beans

Sorry, but no I didn't on two accounts, (a) Bourne is something like 17 miles away and that is simply too far (b) it is still quite a big club and it does cater for kids and that is definitely not what I am looking for.

BB

7. S-Express

S-Express Guest

I think you've misunderstood. It caters for kids through the BC go-ride structure - which is an entirely separate activity. It doesn't mean you are going to get 8 year olds turning up on your club rides. That's not how it works.

8. OP
    OP
    buzzy-beans

Understood now

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice