Moving to St Annes near Blackpool..your thoughts please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I had a tiny flat in Cornwall that was a band B. This flat is bigger and a Band A. It depends on the perceived value.

If I were you, I would move. Then, I like a bit of adventure.
You can always move back if you hate it. I would go in a heartbeat, having read some of the stuff that you have been through, with the bullying and whatnot. New start and whatnot, plus your brother is there so that must be a good thing? :okay:
Yes i've had a bit more hassle recently which has made me a bit more determined to move. My brother's just been on the phone telling me of other suitable flats that have come up. Heck,if i move it'll be the 4th move in about 18 months. I've only lived in two houses before in my life up till last April. Like you say,i can always move back here. That's the beauty i suppose of renting rather than owning property. No having to sell and stuff. The only hassle is the removal fees and the changing of address details for bills,banks and such stuff.

Home is about people, not places. The older we get, the more difficult it is to make new friends as people already have their established social groups.
If you move, how will you feel about leaving your social circle? Will you be accepted into your brother's group of friends or will you be putting too much pressure on him to provide that for you. As you are not going to take up a job where you will have colleagues, how will you make friends?
Lots of people move in later life such as in retirement (i realise you are younger than that) and end up very lonely.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Home is about people, not places. The older we get, the more difficult it is to make new friends as people already have their established social groups.
If you move, how will you feel about leaving your social circle? Will you be accepted into your brother's group of friends or will you be putting too much pressure on him to provide that for you. As you are not going to take up a job where you will have colleagues, how will you make friends?
Lots of people move in later life such as in retirement (i realise you are younger than that) and end up very lonely.

I don't really have many friends to leave behind and they're not such big friends that they call me on the phone etc. I just have friends i talk to down the pub,up the park,in the cemetery or er hum on Cycle Chat.:whistle: I'm quite good at talking to strangers, so i suppose if i move i'll head to the local park and cemetery and make new friends there.:whistle:

Edit...Then there's this place where i could meet new friends.http://www.fyldecoasterscycling.co.uk/

Saturday Depart Times & Average Group Speeds

**The average speeds may vary slightly based on route difficulty. The speed on the flat parts of any route is always likely to be higher than the overall average**

B1 Ride – 9.00 am – (average speed overall around 16 mph )

B2 Ride – 9.00 am – (average speed overall 14 mph)

Cafe Ride – 9.00 am – (average speed overall 14 mph)

Seems the 'fastest group' only average around 16 mph. Mmm,that means plenty of chatting time while out on the bikes.:whistle:

Edit again...16 mph on the flat. Pffft!:whistle:

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
If you move check out Lancashire Cycle Link. It’s a Facebook group of around 5000 cyclists and I believe a large number are based on the Fylde.

Nibor

Bewildered
Golf is a good walk spoiled. Nearly every copper I worked with was a golfist, and they'd spend all day rattling on about their new golf bats and walking round the golf pitch try g not to get struck by lightning. Grrr....

You'd have to change your name to Blackpool Biker.
Why? He doesn't "technically" currently live in Accy but close by.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Why? He doesn't "technically" currently live in Accy but close by.
Oh not that old bee in your bonnet again!:rolleyes: Do you think that posters who say they live in places like Oxford, Peterborough, Lancaster, Glasgow etc etc actually live right in the middle of those places or maybe some live slightly on the outskirts? If we put down the actual towns and not the nearest well known destination, not many would know where those posters lived. If i put down Great Harwood, which is one of the towns that make up the borough of Hyndburn https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyndburn, then no one would know where i lived. Even saying Accrington sometimes leaves some wondering where it is. I always remember a friend telling me that when he went to Canada for a holiday,folk asked where he came from. At first he said Great Harwood. 'Haven't heard of it' they replied. Then he said Accrington which also left them clueless. Then he tried Blackburn..still the same 'where is that?' response. 'Ok,then it's about 25 miles from Manchester' he told them.'Ah so you come from Manchester,why didn't you say that in the first place?' they said.:rolleyes: I hope this helps folks!:thanks:

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Yeah, they sometimes make it off the flatlands of the Fylde and over to our lovely Ribble Valley and Bowland Fells in big groups who pillage our cafes and eat all our cakes, the flippin' interlopers.
:smile: :smile:

We often see them heading south as we head north - best way really!!!!

If you really want to feel depressed go and have a look at Rossall School; it's on the front between Blackpool and Fleetwood and really grim..
Not relevant to Accy's question, and doesn't reflect one way or another on his decision, but I well remember cycling past there a few years ago enjoying the long coastal ride from Knott End (I'd come over on the ferry) to Blackpool. I clapped eyes on that building and thought "what the ***s that". Two adults and a teenager were close by and I said "what on earth's that, it looks like a borstal". They told me it was a private school - mum and dad were clearly visiting their son. Odd thing is I've just looked it up on google images and it looks rather attractive, not the dark hulk I remember. Has the school bought the internet?

Globalti

Legendary Member
Same here - in real life it looks grim but the pictures on the web make it look as good as Stonyhurst.

Adam4868

Guru
I guess if you dont like victorian architecture you wouldnt like it.I think its a gorgeous building.There again I used to like the house in the Adams fsmily !

Top Bottom