MS teams need help.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tom73

Guru
Mrs 73 has got an important call and presentation to do she's been told they will be using MS teams.
We've not used it before and to me it's not all that great so I need to know a few things.
Can you practice using it if no meeting is planned ?
Can you log in on twice devices at the same time and practice that way too?
When you are using it can you use to screens at once ? The thinking being to have one for running the presentation and one as the main screen.
The other thing is we both use mac's so can you use keynote or is it only MS office or nothing?
The MS teams help page is not much good and I can't find anything that really helpful.

When on MS teams you can share a screen/document. The one been shared has a red box round the outside it anything else is for the presenters eyes only. I have two monitors one with the shared screen and one with something else on most days.

You need to send a teams invite to a different email address to practice or else it doesn’t work if you invite yourself and goes into Test mode to check the microphone is working.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Yes - practising is fine. If possible download the full version of teams rather than just the online access one. You can use two screens; I've Teams open on one plus other aspects on the other.

Teams can be fiddly on a Mac so you may be forced to use the browser version only.

We're using Teams as a teaching system in my university this year. Personally I've decided against it as it's fiddly with integrating elements and groups so am using a different system (Blackboard Collaborate).

OP
OP
tom73

tom73

Guru
Right thanks guys
I'd did think it may not play nicely. She's download it already so can have a play around with things and see It's mainly getting the presentation to work she's panicking about. I just want to get my head round it and explain what to do. If she can have it set ready to go she will be happy.
she off tomorrow so will get her to log in and invite me
My back up idea is sharing it as a PDF or have one ready go which you can attach if i've got it right.

si_c

Guru
Right thanks guys
I'd did think it may not play nicely. She's download it already so can have a play around with things and see It's mainly getting the presentation to work she's panicking about. I just want to get my head round it and explain what to do. If she can have it set ready to go she will be happy.
she off tomorrow so will get her to log in and invite me
My back up idea is sharing it as a PDF or have one ready go which you can attach if i've got it right.
Relatively straightforward to have it in multiple screens - in some ways it's easier with two screens than presenting normally.

Couple of hints - I keep a script for the presentation open on the second screen, so I can use that comfortably - just slide by slide notes effectively.

You can share the desktop, or the powerpoint window - I do the latter as it's distracting when presenting to have the taskbar with all the windows open on - you don't want people to know you've spent the morning playing freecell.

Lastly - sometimes when running powerpoint in full screen some viewers just get a black screen instead of seeing the slides - the solution here is to come out of presenter mode and use the slides in edit mode - you can minimise the ribbon if that helps give a bit more screen space.

Mike_P

Guru
Have found that if using a script too long to fit on the visual part of a screen and a PowerPoint it's simpler to have the script printed out that way the only screen you need to move matters on is the PowerPoint.

si_c

Guru
Have found that if using a script too long to fit on the visual part of a screen and a PowerPoint it's simpler to have the script printed out that way the only screen you need to move matters on is the PowerPoint.

True - I use ViM for all my editing and writing stuff so it's just a case of moving the mouse across and using the mouse wheel to scroll, but I can see your point. I just dislike using paper if I can, but powerpoint's notes system is dreadful and I've never got to grips with it, I prefer Adobe PDF slideshows generally anyway.

Top Bottom