Mtb maintenance tips and tricks.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Whilst I whole heartedly agree time spent cleaning is time wasted that could be spent riding it can also be good value.

I'm not someone who is too fussed about the appearance so I don't worry about wax finishes and cleaning in places I can't see. Especially as the bike is usually filthy within 2 miles on the next ride. I do however clean the oily bits and lube bearings with some care, if only because the chain alone on my MTB is 5 times the price of that on my commuter. The chain shifts and stays on better when it's clean and lubed .
Agree. It's important to keep the entire drive train clean and well lubed. I too don't bother with the frame apart from wiping it with an oily/oiled rag. Haven't actually washed a bike in years.

Things I work on the most in order of frequency seem to be...

Drive train lubrication —- clean off dust/muck after every ride, lube with light weight but penetrating lube, I use purple extreme.
Spoke and rim adjustment —- buy a spoke key and learn how to use it
Tyres —- pressure and wear, both which I check before each ride
Front and rear shocks —- check pressures every week or so, get serviced when they start to go, about every 6 months.
Headset and bb bearings —- check regularly for wear and movement
Gear cables and shifting —- make sure shifting remains quick and accurate
Suspension bearings —- I don’t really check this, rather I can feel it going during a ride
Brake pads and fluid —- keep on eye this, pads can last a week or a year depending on conditions and use.

I’ve never had to adjust hanger alignment.

Given all that I don’t keep my mountain bike that clean as I’ve found it’s dirty within 2 miles of hitting the trails.

Number one tip, always carry a multi-tool, pump and spare tube.

Drago

Legendary Member
I was told, on here I think, every 200 hours use. Does that sound about right?

sounds a bit high - 30 to 100hrs use is what most manufacturers recommend, depending on the environment. I strip, clean and rebuild mine annually, which is probably only 15-20hrs or so. It's so easy it's hardly worth not doing it.

Tom B

Guru
sounds a bit high - 30 to 100hrs use is what most manufacturers recommend, depending on the environment. I strip, clean and rebuild mine annually, which is probably only 15-20hrs or so. It's so easy it's hardly worth not doing it.

Mine definitely needs doing then.

I have a Rockshox SEKTOR can you recommend a guide/parts list?

Do you do front and rear?

Jody

Stubborn git

Drago

Legendary Member
Snow falling, hot cuppa steaming on the work bench, Planet Rock on the radio, doesnt take long to do the strip, clean and reassmebly (im well practiced by now). Anyone who trots out the "I'd rather be riding that maintain my machinery at it's optimum" is talking tosh. It takes very little time. Indeed, it's a good safety drill too, as you need to touch every single part of the bike so you'll soon know if that cable is starting to fray or that nut is loose - that kind of foresight and preparedness actually maximises trail time, not eat into it.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Headset strip grease every 6 mths.
Forks and shock minor service often and damper oil once a year.
Everything else is checked every clean which is quite often.
Every ride in winter.

Top Bottom