MTB newbie but not new to cycling.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

He's saying the braking performance isn't great - bike's quite old, don't know how old the fluid is/possibility of air bubbles. Pads could be contaminated. It's cheaper than buying a full set of brakes.

You know all this anyway. Did a full bleed and new pads on my missus' 'new to us' mtb. Cleaned the rotors too.

Last edited:
He's saying the braking performance isn't great - bike's quite old, don't know how old the fluid is/possibility of air bubbles. Pads could be contaminated. It's cheaper than buying a full set of brakes.

You know all this anyway. Did a full bleed and new pads on my missus' 'new to us' mtb. Cleaned the rotors too.

Bleeding is not the panacea of brake problems. You only bleed if there is air in there and from the OP's description, that is definitely not the problem. Routine bleeding serves no purpose and often introduces problems.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Bleeding is not the panacea of brake problems. You only bleed if there is air in there and from the OP's description, that is definitely not the problem. Routine bleeding serves no purpose and often introduces problems.

Given the age, I would do it. My missus bike was 4 years old, rear brake not functioning (different to OP), but at least new pads and a clean of the discs will save him money. I've only beld my bike's brakes once - only when changing the Lever Piston (SRAM Guide heat issue) and my fluid was still clear and clean after 3 years.

Just trying to save him money !

OP
OP
Stevec047

Stevec047

Über Member
As soon as I got the bike I checked it over for any obvious issues, chain, bb etc and the brake fluid which was clear and free of air.

Having looked at it over the weekend the pads are glazed which more than likely was the couple of trips to the trails recently where I was riding the brakes due to my lack of skills and confidence. So took them out cleaned them up and then rubbed them over abit of course emery cloth. Reinstalled them as they have plenty of material on them and switched the rotor round.

Did a little ride down the road to bed the pads back in and it feels much better. Still going to upgrade as the reservoirs are showing signs of corrosion around the block but at least I have a bit more confidence in the brakes.

ChrisEyles

Guru
Looks really nice, enjoy it!

I ride a similar age GT avalanche and have swapped out quite a few things. Best upgrades were:

Switched to a 720mm lower rise bar & 60mm stem - cheap and improved handling & confidence going downhill.

100mm dropper post - I must admit I balked at the price of them but they have transformed the way I ride. I got a "cheap" £70ish X fusion one and have been really pleased with it.

1x is an easy switch, but if you ride mainly bridleways rather than trail centre I'd stick with 3x8 myself as you'll likely run out of low gears without a more expensive (unnecessary?) switch to 10+ speed on the rear to get a 40+t big sprocket.

Top Bottom