MTB - NOT For Me

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
I've had a chap, who has contacted me on my blog,

He's 27 stone, 6foot tall

He wants to lose weight by cycling

but his budget is just £150-£200 as he is out of work (Obesity Related)

I'd REALLY like to help him out by giving him some leads

So people, what ya got ?

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Please correct me if I'm wrong here people but i always thought that all bikes had a max weight limit assigned to them and that 27 stone is well above any SWL. It sounds as though the chap needs medical help to loose weight before he considers exercise of any type.

So people, what ya got ?

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Aside from my concern over bikes and max weigh limits I would say he needs to be looking at a 2nd hand steel bike of some kind, probably a MTB.

So people, what ya got ?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I think weight limits are stated for legal reasons. A company don't want to be sued if somebody gets hurt in a freak accident so they ask their engineers what the limits are. They reply that the bike should be okay with a rider up to 400 pounds, so the legal team insist on a weight limit of 250 pounds. That kind of thing.

Just like the Best Before Date on food. You know that the food doesn't suddenly go off one day beyond that date, but the further you push it, the bigger the chance you are taking.

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
My Giant Yukon was happy to take me at 34 stone without issue

He wants to follow my lead, I dont see an issue with that

as a side note, I rode my first road bike when I was still 24 stone (Ribble, Alu, Audaux)

Panter

Just call me Chris...
My mate is 23 Stone, Ok he's a little lighter but he rides aggressively and doesn't have any problems (Carrera)

If buying new, Decathlon (as ever!) do some decent looking bikes at that price point

subaqua

What’s the point
My mate is 23 Stone, Ok he's a little lighter but he rides aggressively and doesn't have any problems (Carrera)

If buying new, Decathlon (as ever!) do some decent looking bikes at that price point

and furniture whithermore :tongue:

gotta agree with that. and FWIW I was 130Kg when i started riding on my Decathlon rockrider that has a max limit of 100Kg and it copes very well thank you. Its just as Colin says if it breaks at X then the legal beagles say it is safe for X/2 generally

GilesM

Legendary Member
I would also have parts he would be welcome to for nothing:

Front and rear mech, cassette and chain, little bit worn, but do run together, saddle and seat pin (from Giant frame so 30.9) and mechanical disc brakes and soon a set of Hayes Sole hydraulic (not great but okay for manly road stuff), and maybe some wheels and tyres, I can hunt through if you would like to know exactly what there is. I bought a new hardtail frame last year and I'm about to build it up (too much time working means I'm only just getting around to it), and some stuff doesn't fit, is worn, or just hasn't passed the bling test, I also have too much used stuff that will probably just sit around in boxes in the garage for years. If interested let me know and I can put together a more accurate list.

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
I would also have parts he would be welcome to for nothing:

Front and rear mech, cassette and chain, little bit worn, but do run together, saddle and seat pin (from Giant frame so 30.9) and mechanical disc brakes and soon a set of Hayes Sole hydraulic (not great but okay for manly road stuff), and maybe some wheels and tyres, I can hunt through if you would like to know exactly what there is. I bought a new hardtail frame last year and I'm about to build it up (too much time working means I'm only just getting around to it), and some stuff doesn't fit, is worn, or just hasn't passed the bling test, I also have too much used stuff that will probably just sit around in boxes in the garage for years. If interested let me know and I can put together a more accurate list.

It never ceases to amaze me how awesome some people can be

i've drop him an email

Top Bottom