mtb or hybrid?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andrw karlsson

Hi all. Let me start by saying my experience with bikes goes back to my bmx in the 80's. Beyond that, i am clueless.
I am looking to try and start cycling on forest paths with my 6 year old and will be putting my 2 year old in a child seat on the back.
Question is do i go mtb or hybrid?
Would a hybrid handle forest cycle paths? Would the lighter weight of a hybrid make a big difference with the added weight on the back?
I am on a budget so was looking at decathlon rockrider 5.1 or 5.2 for mtb, Or carrera subway or crossfire for hybrid.
What do you recommend? Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.
Ths guys

Depends on the area ... thetford forest is on very sandy soil which can feel "loose" even on mountain
bikes with expensive knobblies on, on the other hand some of the welsh forests have lots of slate chippings around which sometimes become slippery.
I'd go for wide tyres if you're hauling a kiddie seat around.

As for weight ... probably not worth worrying about!

OP
OP
A

andrw karlsson

Thx for the reply. Mostly around alice holy or bracknell forest which are quite firm. I won't be doing anything to adventurous as my 6 year old will have to keep up.
What do you recommend?

OP
OP
A

andrw karlsson

I'm leaning towards the hybrid option as well. The extra 2 or 3 kilos on the mtb must make it just that little bit harder on you. Will a hybrid hold up on gentle forest paths?

Top Bottom