MTB pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kevoffthetee

On the road to nowhere
Morning folks

Does anyone use single sided SPD pedals? My MTB is my multi function bike and I use it for trail rides, woodland treks as well as rides out with my 7 year old daughter.

What pedals (not double sided) are people using as I don't want to spend my life swapping pedals. Has anyone come across any bargains?

Cheers, kev

MikeW-71

Veteran
A530's for a "touring" pedal.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Why not double sided?
I expect he means spd one side and flat pedals the other. So M324 rather than A 530s. £23 at Evans
shimano-oe-m324-spd-pedals.jpg

Cubist

Still wavin'
Thanks guys,

I'd like single sided pedals so when I'm out with my daughter I've got the flat side but when I'm out for a day trek I can clip in and go.
Single sided SPD pedals like A530, A600 are single sided, inasmuch as the other side has no mechanism to clip into, but they are roundish, smooth and slippery, so no good for pedalling in ordinary shoes/trainers. You either need the dual purpose ones like the M324 or get the best of both worlds with a decent pair of flat pedals and the knowledge that swapping pedals over before a ride takes about a minute.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I expect he means spd one side and flat pedals the other. So M324 rather than A 530s. £23 at Evans
shimano-oe-m324-spd-pedals.jpg
+1 cracking pedals for what @Kevoffthetee wants, solid and easy adjustable SPD side and a good dependable grip on the flat side. I've gone back totally to flat pedal riding now, but these pedals were my utility ones of choice while I did use cleats.

Kev: You may see Shimano M424. Dual side SPD's in a rocking resin outer that supposedly gives you SPD & flat option either way up. As SPD's in hard sole bike shoes I had no problem with them, but when using normal trainers and adidas samba, converse baseball style soft soled shoes & trying to ride them as flat pedals, the SPD mount pressed through the sole and made riding for more than a very short distance uncomfortable and not particularly pleasant for me.

Top Bottom