MTB suggestions please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MachersMan

I have road bikes but find it hard to find the motivation to get on them during the wetter, colder months. So I'm thinking of purchasing a MTB and doing some off road riding this winter. For some reason being wet and cold on a road doesn't appeal to me but being wet, cold and muddy in a field does, maybe because it's something different!

I live close to the 7stanes network in SW Scotland so plenty choice but I'm 60 so wont be heading to Fort William and World Cup DH rides, X country riding rather than downhill trail blazing. What I want to avoid most is buying a new ride and needing to upgrade it in three months time. My budget is around £1500 and buying the right bike is much more important than bling and brand.

Advice and suggestions very welcome.

vickster

Legendary Member
The ones from Go Outdoors get very good reviews for the ££

Eg https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15903684/calibre-bossnut-mountain-bike-15903684
£400 off with a £5 card https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/discount-card

Last edited:

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I would go for a hardtail xc 29er. The Bossnut is a trailbike designed for technical riding. The rear suspension doesn't lock out leaving you more open to bob when putting a bit of effort in. I have one but I ride trail centres and rocky stuff in the Peak District and it is great for this, but I wouldn't buy one for general xc riding. From what you say I would have thought 130 mm full suss would be overkill.

OP
OP
MachersMan

MachersMan

I would go for a hardtail xc 29er. The Bossnut is a trailbike designed for technical riding. The rear suspension doesn't lock out leaving you more open to bob when putting a bit of effort in. I have one but I ride trail centres and rocky stuff in the Peak District and it is great for this, but I wouldn't buy one for general xc riding. From what you say I would have thought 130 mm full suss would be overkill.

I've been looking at 29er hardtails for all the reasons you mention. What gearing would you recommend for XC bearing in mind I wont be racing?

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I've been looking at 29er hardtails for all the reasons you mention. What gearing would you recommend for XC bearing in mind I wont be racing?
I would go for a 1x drive train (simpler) and would expect a 12 speed cassette if you are looking over £1k. The Bossnut has a 32t on the front with a 11 to 50 cassette which will get you up the steepest of technical climbs, but if I was riding more xc I would probably look for a 34 or 36 at the crank just to make it a bit less spinney on smoother flats and downhills. :okay:

CXRAndy

Guru
I have road bikes but find it hard to find the motivation to get on them during the wetter, colder months. So I'm thinking of purchasing a MTB and doing some off road riding this winter. For some reason being wet and cold on a road doesn't appeal to me but being wet, cold and muddy in a field does, maybe because it's something different!

I live close to the 7stanes network in SW Scotland so plenty choice but I'm 60 so wont be heading to Fort William and World Cup DH rides, X country riding rather than downhill trail blazing. What I want to avoid most is buying a new ride and needing to upgrade it in three months time. My budget is around £1500 and buying the right bike is much more important than bling and brand.

Advice and suggestions very welcome.

Full suspension or hard tail- depends on whether you are riding gravel trails or something which is a bit more lumpy. I don't mean downhill speed bumps, just lumpy terrain. I can tell you a full suspension bike with lockout is lovely to ride over rougher terrain. Hardtail are cheaper because they dont have the complicated rear. Gearing that depends on how strong you're and weight.

Another option, which might be worthy, an ex rental E-MTB. The brother in law just got one and absolutely loves it for mucking about on trails and climbs. My kids hired some for a weekend, they literally destroyed me up every climb on my lovely FS Scott mtb. They weren't to knackered at the end of the day due to making hills bearable.

Rutland Cycles rent a lot out for tootling around the reservoir but then sell at the end of each summer season. Hardly any wear n tear

Last edited:
........+1 what Cycleops says - hard to beat Decathlon for value. The only thing I don't go for in their stores is clothes - would be ideal for athletic built types, which I certainly ain't :sad:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Whatever you do, do make sure you ride a few different bikes before you buy. Coming from a road bike to an MTB is going to be quite a shock, regardless of what type you get (27.5", 29", hardtail, full-suss, etc) and you might find that actually, the MTB thing isn't for you.

I suggest you find a hire centre near to you and take a bike or two out on the blue/xc trails to see how each one feels and what suits you best for your riding style. It might cost a bit to try a variety of bikes over a few visits but this will be money well spent if it means you avoid buying a bike that isn't suitable.

If you can combine the rentals with a centre that also does sales (not unusual) you might be able to strike a deal where they will deduct some or all of the rental costs from a new bike bought from them?

Not sure why you think going out riding in the cold and wet will be any more appealing when there is mud involved? You are still likely to find yourself waiting for the dry days before heading out on the MTB.....

I'm a roadie but recently got the urge to do some mtbing to give me some variety. I'd only ever done family type mtbing previously and I dug out my old Scott Sawtooth non suspension mtb from the depths of my garage. I had a play and decided to get something a bit more modern and ended up buying a Calibre Bossnut. What a difference, climbs I couldn't make on the Scott I'm now handling fairly easily and descents I was bottling out of have started to be fun. Technically I can't comment on the differences but I'm loving full suspension and the Bossnut seems very capable. I'm riding places like Swinley Forest, Minley, Mytchett. Btw, I'm 72.

OP
OP
MachersMan

MachersMan

I should have stated I'm not entirely new to MTB. I have friends and family who visit to ride the 7Stanes tracks and I've borrowed/hired bikes to ride with them. I worked outdoors all my life and my other passion is sea angling so I'm used to the elements. Its something different and an excuse to buy a new bike really. Also I live very rural and less chance of getting knocked off by a boy racer not paying attention on the dark, wet nights.

Thanks for all the good advice. Still looking but spoke with two people riding past my house yesterday both on Cube Stereos and they seem to fit my needs despite having full suspension.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I should have stated I'm not entirely new to MTB. I have friends and family who visit to ride the 7Stanes tracks and I've borrowed/hired bikes to ride with them. I worked outdoors all my life and my other passion is sea angling so I'm used to the elements. Its something different and an excuse to buy a new bike really. Also I live very rural and less chance of getting knocked off by a boy racer not paying attention on the dark, wet nights.

Thanks for all the good advice. Still looking but spoke with two people riding past my house yesterday both on Cube Stereos and they seem to fit my needs despite having full suspension.

I had a hpcr cube stereo, fab bike, but you do sit high on them so there no xc bike

I sold it a few mth back for £1200, so you could get a very very nice bike if you go secondhand..

Mine was 2.5k in the sale in 2015, mine was a small but they are big bikes

Last edited:
Top Bottom