MTB suspension forks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

phil120867

Über Member
I've just built up a 2001 Gary Fisher Big Sur and I'm currently running 100mm carbon rigid forks but I've looked at the original spec and it has a 80mm fork. I want to change the current forks for a cheap suspension fork. What's best at around the £150, £200 mark, air or coil and does it matter if I run 100mm with an original frame designed for 80mm? :smile:

RedBike

Air is often lighter and easier to adjust to your weight/riding conditions. Coil is plusher and cheaper.

The measurement you really want to look at is the axle to crown length. The more travel the forks have the larger you would expect this measurement to be. However, it does vary slightly between makes anyway.

Increasing/decreasing the axle to crown length will change the way the bike handles,

Mr Pig

RedBike said:
Coil is plusher and cheaper.

I have RockShox Tora forks and they're still sticky after nearly a year. I expected them to loosen up but they're taking their time. Other than that they work fairly well.

You can adjust the sag on most forks so I can't see the 20mm being much of an issue.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Phil

At that price point RockShox Tora are probably your best bet. They are very highly spoken of, and after much research etc etc young Cubester has some on his bike. His are nice and plush, with rebound and preload adjust. Some Rockshox have been said to be sticky, but usually a strip down service will sort them out.

Tora come in a choice of air or coil spring. The coils are said to be better damped than the air ones, and having ridden Cubester's I can't fault them. There are several models, but most out there seem to be the adjustable travel ones (U-turn)

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
well he can choose not to buy them then.

Mr Pig

I have to ask, if you've been coping ok with a ridged fork what are you going to ride than now needs you to push the boat out on a suspension fork? Although I've had one on my last three bikes I remain unconvinced of their ultimate worth for the average rider.

I've been out riding in groups where half of the people had ridged forks and it did not seem to slow them down at all, even on very sketchy ground. I'm sure they do help at times but I recon only on the very worst of terrain. The rest of the time they're just extra weight to drag around, and they're not light.

Not trying to talk you out of it, just want you to be sure you're buying them for the right reasons.

OP
OP
phil120867

phil120867

Über Member
I haven't thought about them in those terms at all. I have a Scott scale 20 and a Cannondale Carbon Rush 4, both great bikes with great forks (Fox f series). I've had these carbon forks I bought last year to enter the MTB section of the Catford CC Hill climb at Yorkshill (on the Scott scale) and then took the off again and they've been hanging around in the garage since. I've only used them once or twice for gentle off road and there is a bit of give in them, I'm up in Wescott (north downs) on Wed night so I'll try the carbons on some decent terrain then before I buy the rebas. ( by the way I won the MTB section of the hill climb and took 12 sec off the 2007 MTB record time (the Scale weighed about 9kgs) Its not about the bike (sometimes)!!!!:evil::laugh::thumbsup:)

mocker

phil120867 said:
( by the way I won the MTB section of the hill climb and took 12 sec off the 2007 MTB record time (the Scale weighed about 9kgs) Its not about the bike (sometimes)!!!!:eek::laugh::eek:)

blimey thats some going! well done...

as to your question..

im a bit out of the loop so cant really comment on todays good forks...however, air forks will be lighter, and i doubt you ll have a problem with an extra 20mm travel ( equates to a 1 degree slacker head angle?????)...will probably feel better on the techy descents

perhaps have a look for some old marzocchi air forks on ebay? theyre a bomb proof brand and last for ever...my old 2004 X flys were cracking

as to the merits of suspension...rigid forks belong on road bikes...if youre riding off road you MUST have suspension in my book...your bike WILL handle a lot better ( youll attack harder, more technical lines that might have spat you off on rigids ) will track the ground better and youll be less fatiqued ( no more aching between the shoulder blades )

sure they weigh a bit more but so what...how many pro XC racers still ride rigid?

there me pennys worth!

Top Bottom