MTB suspension forks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
phil120867

phil120867

Über Member
I'll try the rigid forks on some trails up by Leith Hill on wed night (yoghurt pots, telegraph road, summer lightning and Barry Knows best) and see how it goes, If I get back in one piece then I'll decide. It should be an interesting ride and it should be really fast if it keeps dry. I'll let you know how I get on (hopefully).:eek:

Mr Pig

Disclaimer:
If this guy dies because he's ridden down a mountain on rigid forks, it is not fat Pig's fault.

OP
OP
phil120867

phil120867

Über Member
I bottled it and took the Cannondale out last night and I needed the whole 120mm travel, it was dry, dusty and very fast:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:. I've decided that the £200+ investment on a bike that's only cost me as much to put together isn't worth it. I've asked a few people to have a rummage around to see if they have an old pair of half decent coil forks (bombers etc) they want to sell for less that £100 and I'll use the bike as a hack / pub bike and for towing the twins in the tandem tag a along (off road of course,). Thanks for all your help guys.! no one diedxx(

OP
OP
phil120867

phil120867

Über Member
I'm just back from my first real blast using carbon rigid forks. There is quite a bit of flex in them and they are good up to a point esp if you choose your lines carefully. It all goes a bit Pete Tong when you get into the bigger stuff esp down hill. Its fun but I wouldn't recommend it for your only bike. This will be MTB number 3 and I'll us it for light duties (towing the twins on the tandem tag-a-long). I'm also going to fit some clipless pedals too:laugh:

Magura Odur 100mm are the best forks you will get under £200 unless you find someone giving away last years Reba or some decent Marzocchis elsewhere for like half price or something crazy.
Its a much better fork than the Tora. I have Toras on my Scott Scale 60 and Odurs on my Carrera so I do have experience of both.

OP
OP
phil120867

phil120867

Über Member
I've still not got proper forks but I did fit new candy C pedals and the whole bike does really well, I feel my skill levels are improving and I can keep up with the full sus guys on most things and pass them uphill, I'm not sure I'll get a set of suspension forks although On One still have really good deals on at the minute

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I'd never trust carbon forks off road, even if ridden gently. It's irrational and prejudiced and illogical and dated as an opinion I know..... I've had a fo expensive carbon seat post 'go' on me on Mouse Lane, Steyning, off all places and saw my riding companions Trek ?OCLV? carbon frame exotibike unravel spectacularly in Glencoe back in the day when riding in Glencoe was what something I was capable of.

I feel like carbon stuff is for pro's and sponsored riders who can chuck things away and replace them before they break....

Rigid fork of choice for me is Kona P2

OP
OP
phil120867

phil120867

Über Member
Mmmm, I don't mind much if they break as they were £40 off ebay (totally unbranded far eastern jobbies),,,,, maybe I should think about this again! I've only got one face, ugly as it may be

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
phil120867 said:
Mmmm, I don't mind much if they break as they were £40 off ebay (totally unbranded far eastern jobbies),,,,, maybe I should think about this again! I've only got one face, ugly as it may be

step away from the MTB now! I could be completely wrong maybe the tech has moved on a lot since my day.

Top Bottom