MTB

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Well I bought a Voodoo Bizango today. Nice looking bike. Cant wait to get out there riding it now.

Well done, nice bike, with the added benefit of a daft name.

People always go on about Halfords' set-up, but my current hobby horse with any bike is fork pressure.

Getting the correct air pressure for your weight can make a big difference to the performance of even a basic fork, so it's well worth doing.

OP
OP
nickg

nickg

Über Member
How do I go aboit doing that?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
How do I go aboit doing that?

You will need a fork pump because we are talking about pressures of up to 160psi.

Describing how you do it is difficult in a few words, but I will have a go.

Stand beside the bike and compress the fork by leaning on the handlebars.

Release the compression (lift the bars) slowly.

You want the fork/wheel to remain in firm contact with the ground as you do so.

If it lifts before it's fully extended, the pressure is too low.

There is a knack to doing this, which you can only learn with experience.

A competent bike shop would do it for you, and tell you the pressure they've set.

Still worth buying a pump because the pressure needs to checked every month or six weeks.

In riding, what happens with too low pressure is the fork compresses a little over small bumps, but lacks the pressure to fully rebound.

This happens a few times so you end up running with a near fully compressed fork.

When you hit a bigger bump, you get a jarring sensation because the fork is all but fully compressed already.

So conversely, a higher pressure gives you a more compliant ride.

There is also probably a pre-load adjustment, which relates to your weight.

The instruction manual with the forks should tell you that.

Last edited:

Cyclist33

I thought air pressure was a personal thing related to rider weight and distribution? So standing by the side of the bike isn't going to give you that?

Top Bottom