Mtb's/Spd's/Clipless newbie help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jodami84

Read various threads on clipless/SPD pedals and the like but am unsure as to what the difference, if any, there is between them.

As a newbie who is riding more frequently i quite like the idea of investing in some new pedals that wont bash into my shins whilst out and about.

Any chance of someone giving me an idiots guide to these things please?

Clipless/SPD pedals are pedals that have special fittings in them to allow cleats attached to the bottom of cycling shoes to be clipped into, therefore you're attached onto the pedal.

It's an alternative to traditional toe cages.

ChrisBD

iAmiAdam said:
Clipless/SPD pedals are pedals that have special fittings in them to allow cleats attached to the bottom of cycling shoes to be clipped into, therefore you're attached onto the pedal.

It's an alternative to traditional toe cages.

Spot on.

this might also help explain

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shimano_Pedaling_Dynamics

Although there are other variants, Crank Bros for example; the "SPD" is the most widely used on an MTB

MTBs and touring, city, hybrid type bikes will use the SPD system, while road/racing bikes will probably use another type that's not recessed into the sole of the shoe - consequently, they're not easy to walk in.

ChrisBD

Jodami84 said:
Would you have any advice on what would be a good pair to try as a rookie?

Give these a try; they are embedded within a standrd "flat" pedal, so you can wear spd shoes and "clip-in" should you wish, or just ride in trainers on a short commute or trip to the shops.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Shimano_M424_SPD_Pedals/4000000481/

Any SPD / MTB shoes will fit, the cleats will come with the pedals, and screw into threaded holes (allenkey) in the sole / ball of the shoe.

Check out a range of shoes here;

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/c/cycle/7/Shoes_-_Cycle_Offroad/

Shoes can range from £30odd to over £200.....Some look more technical then others.....check out the MT60 shoes from Shimano. Not cheap but nowhere near the most expensive; a more casual shoe like this may suit you more untill you get to love the clip-in stylie....

Hope this helps? Need anymore intel just ask...

C

AliA

Hello
I have just fitted the Shimano M424's to my MTB and I am delighted with them - a great pair for a new user like myself as you have the added reassurance of the casing around the pedal to help you clip in. This also allows you to wear normal shoes if you'd prefer for a non clipped in journey!
I love them so much I will be ordering some for my commuter bike too!
You get sooo much more power through the pedals when using them, and the bike just feels more connected.I find they help immensely when stood up on the pedals - no more fear of your feet sliding off in wet conditions.

ChrisBD

AliA said:
Hello
I have just fitted the Shimano M424's to my MTB and I am delighted with them - a great pair for a new user like myself as you have the added reassurance of the casing around the pedal to help you clip in. This also allows you to wear normal shoes if you'd prefer for a non clipped in journey!
You get sooo much more power through the pedals when using them, and the bike just feels more connected.I find they help immensely when stood up on the pedals - no more fear of your feet sliding off in wet conditions.

The 424's are a great pedal, especially as a confidence builder. All the advantage of full on SPD as you have said without having to resort to toe-clips as a step up from flats....

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
AliA said:
Hello
If you are clipped in for most of the time why not think about transfering the pedals to your commuter and putting full clipless onto your MTB.
I bought M520's for the road bike as I always had clips and straps and even when I used to commute in sunderland and Cardiff was strapped in. I now don't feel uncomfortable clipped in, in town.
I bought some MTB (Lidl) shoes for the MTB and some dhbR1's for the road bike but if I wanted to go into town on the road bike and not take spare shoes I could use the MTB shoe as they have recessed cleats that allow you to walk fairly easily. Wouldn't want to spend the day waling about town but would walk round shops.
Think about your needs and cycling style. This will dictate what pedals and shoe you will go for.

joggingbob

++1 for the M520, I got mine from ebay (SJS Cycles) and bought the Lidl shoes, (cheap - great value, but heavy). Fine for my intro to 'clipless'.

Top Bottom