Mtn bike gears

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srj10

Guru
gears on my mtn bike seem to shift fine but when i try to shift from small ring to middle ring or middle ring to large ring they jump badly,moving down the rings is fine.do i adjust using the barrel adjuster on the bars,clockwise or anti clockwise or do i use the screws at the back labelled L or R,thanks

Pauluk

Sounds like you may need to adjust the cable tension. Look on youtube regarding adjusting your gears.

lulubel

Über Member
Don't touch the screws at the back. They're labelled L and H (not R) and they're the high and low limit screws that stop the rear derailleur throwing the chain off the cassette.

Shifting up on the front rings is never going to be as smooth as shifting down because shifting down is just a simple drop from a bigger ring to a smaller one. To shift up, the chain rubs against the side of the bigger ring until it catches on a tooth and is pulled up by it. Is the chain rubbing on the front derailleur cage in any of your normal gears (particularly the smaller ones)? That would normally be the first sign of cable stretch.

If you want to play around with it, the barrel adjuster turns anti-clockwise to increase tension, clockwise to decrease it. (I think - I find it hard to remember which way is which - so I generally just play around until I get the results I want.)

Top Bottom