Mud on roads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Herr-B

^ (Hitchington's post, not Cubist's) I remember that in Viz about 20 years ago.

I'm rural, there is a lot of mud on some roads at the moment but I'm a realist and understand why it's there. I'd rather have trails of wet mud everywhere than potholes.

Arsen Gere

Über Member
Mud, a luxury. On the north side of the pedestrian tunnel under the tyne there is a diesel spillage on the roundabout. If that is not enough they dumped a load of fine red sand on top to soak it up. Now oily sand in the dark is a challenge, chuck a bit of light rain on the top and road bike tyres.....
I hit it in the dark and felt the steering go really light so took it steady and slow, didn't fall off of but front end slid a bit before getting grip.

screenman

Legendary Member
Globalti, I am like you in taking care, now you could tell me how to avoid a 2 mile stretch of road covered side ti side in mud, with no alternative route.

Must admit it does not worry me much, the bike has mudguards and is washed weekly.

lulubel

Über Member
There's a stretch of road just outside town here that's ankle deep in mud every time it rains. And I rode down a lane today (the access road for quite a lot of rural houses) that must have turned into a brown river last time it rained. They've scraped the worst of the mud off it, and they're busy putting in huge new drains, but I was still glad I was on the mountain bike because it was very steep and a bit slippy.

VamP

Banned
Jeez it's mud, get over it. Washes off. And enhances your bike skills.

Some of us pay good money to get muddy.

OP
OP
Mo1959

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Starting to wish I hadn't even brought this up :blush: It's obviously perfectly acceptable to go out for an hour's cycle on the roads with a bike fitted with mudguards and come back with a bike and self looking like I've gone through a ploughed field. Silly me complaining about it.

Berties

Fast and careful!
I've got a 25 metre stretch on my commute where a tractor has gone in tight to a six foot high verge and ripped tonnes of mud onto the road,the council have had a team call out who obviously look and put signs out and that's been it for 2 days,riding it is ok if you ride a tyre gap,but its slow going,I am country born and bread but some of the farmers do take the rise,one farmer has elevated a stretch of byway between two gates so he can drive faster in his tractor,but has caused a right mess,and is un passable for the byway,not always townies moving to the country for riders but hobby farmers with money forgetting they are not the only ones using the roads

VamP

Banned
Starting to wish I hadn't even brought this up :blush: It's obviously perfectly acceptable to go out for an hour's cycle on the roads with a bike fitted with mudguards and come back with a bike and self looking like I've gone through a ploughed field. Silly me complaining about it.

or without mudguards

HovR

Über Member
Ha ha get real! Can you see farmers paying to clean a road when they know the rain will be along soon?

Ha. All that does is turn the mud in to a nice slurry to conveniently aid transfer of mud from the road to your bike. Took me a week of cleaning a bit each night on my mud guard equipped bike to get it back to spotless after one club ride.

The farmer considerately put a 5 gallon bucket with "Mud on road" painted on it as a warning.. About 1/2 a mile in to the muddy section - Thanks for that!

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Its all mud and cow poo around where we are. The MTBs are being hosed off after every ride, the roadies are snug and warm, locked in their bike box in the shed. In some places, our MTBs are sliding about and we have had a couple of near fall-offs, which with that much cow poo about, would just not be funny (to us I mean, hilarious to everyone else I suspect).

sidevalve

Über Member
What happened to the idea that when cycling in the countryside you keep your eyes open and take action to avoid hazards? I watch out for gravel on corners, potholes, repair strips, manhole covers, spilled diesel, wet patches, so mud on the road is just another minor hazard.[/quote
Err, I thought that watching out for hazards was true for all cycling, or can you ride with your eyes shut in the towns these days.

Top Bottom