Mud

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'll second practice. Slippy grass banks are indeed a 'challenge' and you've not got far to fall or hurt yourself.

After breaking my spine I got into MTB'ing again, and wasn't great going down hill. Chickened out on the gnarly stuff and walked it (again didn't want to get hurt). went out with the local MTB club and fell off a few times, but, over 12 months I got much better. I'm not the first to the bottom, as I still don't fancy another lengthy hospital stay, but I can clear the gnarly stuff fine. One thing is look at your line well ahead, and anticipate a possible slide or obstacle.

Just keep practicing. PS what tyres have you currently got ? Many folk run summer and winter tyres. I just run one tyre, so overkill in summer, and then ice/snow.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You can't avoid mud on an MTB, unless you ride on roads, which defeats the point. ;) It's muddy 11 months out of 12 usually.
Well, you can, if you pick routes that don't get muddy! :okay:

For example, 'London Road' on the Pennine Bridleway/Mary Towneley Loop below Stoodley Pike. That did used to be a horrible quagmire '11 months out of 12' and I hated riding it. Then the powers that be 'sanitised' it, much to the annoyance of mud-lovers. I thought that they made a good job of it. There are still some patches that get a bit damp and claggy but overall it is a good ride now.

Here are pictures taken on some NON-muddy local offroad rides...

You could argue that they are not MTB routes since they were suitable for a CX bike. Well, I would prefer to have done them on my MTB because there were a lot of big stones and rocks to ride over, which the MTB would have no problem with, but required care and lower speeds on the CAADX. Unfortunately, the MTB was out of action.

All gloriously mud- (and car-) free!

Last edited:
I quite like the Cannondale paint schemes on the CAADX they went through a phase of been quite shouty with clashing colours but now they have toned it down and made it a bit boring!

Well, you can, if you pick routes that don't get muddy! :okay:
<snip>
You could argue that they are not MTB routes since they were suitable for a CX bike. Well, I would prefer to have done them on my MTB because there were a lot of big stones and rocks to ride over, which the MTB would have no problem with, but required care and lower speeds on the CAADX. Unfortunately, the MTB was out of action.

All gloriously mud- (and car-) free!
I am also NOT a mud-seeker. It's clear from the recent grrrravel craze that plenty of folks like getting into car-free countryside, and closer to nature, but don't relish needing to clean their clothes/transmission/face more than necessary.

It's funny you mention MTB vs CX - I've ridden through more mud in maybe a dozen CX races than I ever have going leisure off-roading. Of course I choose my routes/weather for the latter!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I quite like the Cannondale paint schemes on the CAADX they went through a phase of been quite shouty with clashing colours but now they have toned it down and made it a bit boring!
I like this one. It was someone's commuter bike for a year and then I got it half price on eBay. I have upgraded various bits and pieces since then and added a rack and mudguards so it will be my winter bike, light touring bike etc.

mud is evil. causes chain suck on my MTB. in Vermont, U.S. they don't ride the trails until it dries up, to help preserve the trails. when I used to go exploring in a 4x4 I loved it but did play submarine commander in one puddle a cpl feet too deep. learned how to measure water depth (before bombing thru) after that one

LJR69

Mud is great fun. Okay, so it's slippery and you get in a right mess but I tell you now once you've ridden a good few natural trails and get back and have a hot shower you feel energised. I've done it a lot (living in the UK it's either that...or don't ride for 6 months of the year). I lower my tyre pressures about 2 psi when the mud is very wet, but not usually if it's just kinda damp. Brake modulation is absolutely key. Try to stay off the brakes when doing anything but going straight (good skill to have anyway, but more so in low friction conditions). Try and keep your weight balanced over the bb as it's important to keep some weight on the front at times so it doesn't wash out.

Go out and enjoy it. It feels like real mountain biking on natural trails.

Top Bottom