Mudguard from hell.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bike_Me

Hi all,

Recently had a unfortunate chain of events unfold on me due a cracked mudguard, which I'm not entirely sure if it's worth chasing warranty claim after the below events took place.

Too keep things short and sweet, a point form recount:
- 20min into a cycle I notice my rear mudguard has begun to loosen and rattle
- Pull aside to stop and inspect
- Find a crack has formed almost from edge to edge from the top mounting hole, causing it to loosen and rattle
- I decide to take it off thinking it would be the safer option to avoid it from splitting and causing further damage to my bike.
- Closest store (I shall not name) is 10min away by bike, home being 20min away by bike, I decide to go to the bike store to show the fault and hopefully lodge a warranty claim.
- Only armed with a saddle bag, I had no choice by to hold the mudguard in one hand
- Unfortunately, as I cycled on and turning at a T junction, the silver arm of the mudguard gets caught in my front wheel, causing it to wrap around my front hub, further damaging the mudguard tearing it 2 and twisting it.
- Above events also cause me to fall off said bike in front of a moving car
- Spend the next 10-15min trying to unravel it out of my front wheel
- Also damages my front hub cups and bending a spoke
- I end up continuing on foot with a mangled mudguard (now in 2 pieces) in one hand, and my bike with a buckled front wheel in the other hand
- Get to bike store, pay £18 to retrue the wheel and have them hold onto damaged rear mudguard to contact maker and lodge a warranty claim
- Call bike store 2 days later who say warranty claim not worth doing as mudguard is completely destroyed and cannot be proven that it was manufacturer's fault
- I disagree and come to the conclusion that I contact the manufacturer myself and collect mudguard from store
- Due to the douchebaggery of bike store contact, will not go there again
- I begin to write post on CC for opinions and thoughts... good and/or bad

While I understand, it probably wasnt the best idea to continue cycling with a mudguard in one hand, I honestly had no choice but to. Considering that the whole chain of events was caused by a cracked mudguard, is it worth me pushing for a claim, or should I just take it on the chin, cut my loses and learn from it all?

Fire away.

jay clock

Massive member
Sorry tale, and could have been nasty. Personally the time and energy would not be worth it. Move on

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
I personally would say the latter- I had a rear m/guard fail on me and the company gave me half my money back (the front worked fine still), I chased it as it was poor design and I carefully removed it and took photos, if I knew I was likely to come away with nothing (or minus nothing by the time you've paid for your wheel) I wouldn't worry about it.

The amount you'll get back probably won't cover sending e-mails/ photo's/ parcels for them to eventually say it was too badly damaged by you after it broke.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Which make / model?

I recently had a front Raceblade Long come loose and slide through a front wheel, nearly taking me off at 30+mph :eek:

I contacted the manufacturer, e-mailed photos and they sent a replacement.

U

User6179

If it is Chromoplastic mudguards you need to put something between mudguard and the rear mount , if you don't the mudguard eventually fails , I wrapped Velcro around the mudguard first before clamping it to bike , seems to have worked .

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
You had a good case till you wrapped the guard round the wheel. A polite and humorous letter to the manufacturer or importer may get you a goodwill payment, but I wouldn't make a big deal of it if they won't play.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Not as bad as a front mudguard failing at 25-30 miles an hour and concertinaing into the forks "I believe I can fly" doesn't come close but I did until the ground came into play. This was @ 1974

pauldavid

Veteran
Having read the full story I think that your best option is to turn this into a short film with John Cleese playing the part of you whilst wearing his Fawlty Towers suit.

OP
OP
B

Bike_Me

lol

Thanks all for the advice! I think I may let this go and just move on. I'll refrain from naming the manufacturer at this stage, as I am still waiting to hear back from them from my email I sent earlier this week.

Rouge79

TBH i'd just left the mudguard in a bin. Not worth the hassle and the extra costs and accident you also incurred.

Rouge79

Which make / model?

I recently had a front Raceblade Long come loose and slide through a front wheel, nearly taking me off at 30+mph :eek:

I contacted the manufacturer, e-mailed photos and they sent a replacement.

hence why i never use a front mudguard. I use a rear one on my hybrid but thats it.

Top Bottom