mudguard options..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

got-to-get-fit

I've just spent 2 hours putting black SKS guards on my Crossroads. I was a bit worried about them turning it into a grandad bike. but after 2 hours of messing about (don't ever let yourself drop a tiny nut onto a patterned carpet) I've got them on and they do look great. They're almost metallic, and reflect the colour of the frame. And they're slick, but sturdy.

Far better than those pesky Halfords guards I took of the wife's bike. They was rubbish.

Im guessing you are not a married man User ....i am assuming if you have dropped a nut onto a patterned carpet, then you are putting your mudguards on in the house .........i can just imagine my wifes face if i did this, in fact i can just imagine it staring across a crowded divorce court.

twowheelsgood

I find it isn't the colour but the width that loses style-points. If you don't have mega-beefy tyres, the narrow P35s look much better in either colour, especially when fitted neatly and not too far from the tyre. I prefer the silver myself.

It shouldn't take more than 20 mins to fit SKSs. The secret is simply screw the lock nut hand tight to the very end of each stay temporarily and adjust afterwards.

OP
OP
D

DLB

twowheelsgood said:
I find it isn't the colour but the width that loses style-points. If you don't have mega-beefy tyres, the narrow P35s look much better in either colour, especially when fitted neatly and not too far from the tyre. I prefer the silver myself.

It shouldn't take more than 20 mins to fit SKSs. The secret is simply screw the lock nut hand tight to the very end of each stay temporarily and adjust afterwards.

no use for me - my wheels are 700x38

bonj2

Don't all clammer at once with sheer wonderment at how amazing this idea is or get overly flustered in wondering why no-one thought of it before, but with respect to the question of what mudguards to have, has anyone considered ... no mudguards? Let's face it - you don't really need them, do you?
People only have them for a fashion statement thinking they're saying 'look at me i'm hard, I cycle in the rain!', but don't realise that what you're effectively saying is 'look at me, I cycle slowly in the rain'. Because I've cycled in wet weather and have never once got rain up my back - I can only assume it's because I go faster than your average pootler.
I think they look as good as mudguards can-

Is that ^^^ your bike??!! Interesting choice of colour, brown. Don't see many brown bikes around. I would have to agree that they do look 'as good as mudguards can'. If I was to change anything, I'd have the front one going further round the front of the front wheel, e.g. to the 10 o'clock position or even 9 o'clock, rather than stopping at 12. Stopping at the top kind of reminds me of a receeding hairline, in the same way that a stem with only two bolts on the handlebar face clamp reminds me of a cyclops.

But just a few questions if I may, out of curiosity:
what's that contraption attached to the seat tube? (a weapon to use against idiot drivers?)
what's the red thing under the saddle bag? (the firing device?)
And have you ever considered, wait for it - shock horror: clipless pedals? If not, I've got a pair of plastic ones you can have for free if you want, it'll save you some weight. No point having metal flatties on a road bike.
Also have you considered taking the spoke reflectors off (although to be fair clear ones aren't quite as much of a travesty as orange ones).
But nice bike on the whole by the way.

bonj2

edit: oh and User I see you've also got an adjustable stem but have got it straight forward. I've also actually got a 105mm one which would put your bars in pretty much exactly the same position but without the adjustment knuckle you can have for free if you want.

bonj2

It's a bracket for fitting a Hamax child seat into.

Hmmm... well if those black bits on the upper dropouts are also attachments for it, then I have to say it at least looks a bit more sturdy than hubgearfreak's one, which only attaches onto the seatpost...
Thanks for the offer. But I just wouldn't trust it.:ohmy:

Why not?! It's a fine stem :biggrin:

bonj2

No. It only attaches to the seatpost. It's completely safe, and the method of attachment means that the seat has its own suspension.
:biggrin: :ohmy:
Yes, the bendiness of the PLASTIC...
I don't want to get into a long argument about whether or not they've been theoretically proven to be save, but like I said to hubgearfreak, rather you than me.

those black things on the seat stays are brackets for lights. Those red shiny things that look at you at night.
they are at least 350mm off the ground I hope?!

I just don't, OK? And no facts nor reasoned logic, no physics nor personal experience of others will ever convince me otherwise. Got it?
Well, ok. Just as long as you realise the adjuster knuckle is a point of weakness. But if you're not going that fast or the roads are quite good round there then you'll probably be ok.

bonj2

No, not plastic.

Metal, then. But I still wouldn't trust it. The fact that the metal is constantly bending as you say to provide suspension means that the metal is always getting slightly more and more fatigued. Are there any guidelines in the instructions as to how often you should replace it even it it doesn't look damaged?
You know what I mean by fatigue? - e.g. when you get a paper clip and constantly bend it back and forward, and when you've bent it back and forward about 10 times, it breaks.

bonj2

Yes dear. And child seats are made of paper clips.

paper clips are made of metal. Child seats are made of metal. Metal suffers fatigue. What metal is your child seat made out of that flexes but doesn't suffer from fatigue?

bonj2

spokes, forks and frames don't flex by a significant amount continually.
But, you know - if you're happy with it...:ohmy:

bonj2

Oh yes they do.

probably no more than say 10mm and that's at most, I would have thought less than that normally. I'm not sure though, if you do actually know then please tell us which bit flexes, in which direction, and under what conditions.

How much does the stay for my child seat flex?
I don't know, how much does it? But enough to provide 'suspension' apparently? I'm just going on if it's enough to provide 'suspension', it's enough to cause fatigue!

(And is it not the bracket that holds the seat to the stay, rather than the stay itself, that flexes? Is the stay not the bit that is already on your bike in the picture?)

Top Bottom