1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mudguard options..

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by DLB, 30 Aug 2007.

1. DLB

DLB Senior Member

I've just taken the silver full mudguards (which came with the bike) off my hybrid trek 7.1 (which is black) and the bike looks a thousand times better.

When the rain appears next, what alternatives do i have other than putting the silver guards back on? What mudguards do you guys and gals use? Would black full guards look better than the silver ones?

I realise that come the autumn (if not before) mudguards are going to be essential for me to avoid a soaking.

Oh, and if it makes a differnence, i have a rack fitted.

2. Maz

Maz Guru

Black 'guards deffo look better...I have a black specialized sirrus onto which I had slim, close-fitting black SKS 'guards fitted. It looks good!

3. Oldlegs

Oldlegs Frogs are people too.

Black to me look a LOT better on a black frame with black tires. . They sort of blend in. I use raceblades on my road bike but would prefer full guards. Style is nice but in winter I prefer a dry arse and legs:biggrin:

4. Brock

Brock Senior Member

Just put the silver ones back on and stop being such a prissy fanny.

5. OP
    OP
    DLB

DLB Senior Member

yes but they make the bike look crap. I've had the bike for nearly a year but never seen it without them as it came with them already fitted.

Perhaps if i was the wrong side of 40 i'd be happy to use them while wearing some farrar trousers and a nice cardigan. And sandals with socks.

6. HJ

HJ Cycling in Scotland

Just put black ones on...

7. OP
    OP
    DLB

DLB Senior Member

i think i'll just do that, Jock

8. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

I've just spent 2 hours putting black SKS guards on my Crossroads. I was a bit worried about them turning it into a grandad bike. but after 2 hours of messing about (don't ever let yourself drop a tiny nut onto a patterned carpet) I've got them on and they do look great. They're almost metallic, and reflect the colour of the frame. And they're slick, but sturdy.

Far better than those pesky Halfords guards I took of the wife's bike. They was rubbish.

9. Brock

Brock Senior Member

It's a hybrid with a rack, the style police will hang you regardless of your sandals or the guard colour. ;)

10. Noodley

Noodley Guest

exactly. no point trying when you are a disaster anyway. :biggrin:

11. Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

You could always tell people that the silver ones are safer as they reflect car headlights in the winter evenings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. OP
    OP
    DLB

DLB Senior Member

are they these Paul...?

13. skwerl

skwerl New Member

14. OP
    OP
    DLB

DLB Senior Member

i had a feeling that somebody would write that

15. Brock

Brock Senior Member

It was almost inevitable, but you know they're the people that jump on the turbo trainer in the living room the moment there's a wisp of cloud in the sky. ;)