mudguard options..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

oh for god's sake i'm not saying it's definitely dangerous - it's probably fine. I just wouldn't trust it that's all.
Fatigue occurs in metal when it's flexed, and does eventually break it, that's fact. Surely you're not denying that?
So your child seat isn't going to last ad infinitum, its lifespan is finite. But the manufacturers have probably done some theoretical calculations that prove that its lifespan to be something like 10,000 years before it will break due to flexing, it's these theoretical calculations that you're relying on. Blind faith in the validity of theoretical calculations though is where you and I differ.

You are in a muddle, aren't you?

'Oooh I know, I'll refuse to clarify the terminology of the parts to add a bit of confusion'.
Even though what the parts are called is irrelevant.
:ohmy:
How mature.
I don't really care what the parts on your bike are called, I just thought the discussion might be better if I was using the correct terms. But I'm fine to just call it 'the bit that goes from x to y' to let you satisfy your lust for childilsh point scoring.

bonj2

hmmm... still don't like that adjustable stem.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Bonj, steel bends. If you harden it to 45-49 HRC it doesnt bend. if you've got enough strength and i doubt anyone has, you could snap it.

Then you get spring steel thats bouncy and bendy etc. once heat treated you will never change its formed shape from what it was made to unless using the metaphorical sledge hammer and you would have to give it some welly even with that. You get compression springs, that distort down but return to their normal size, then you get expansion springs that stretch and return to their normal length.
I've seen compression springs used in tooling for 15,000 ton drop presses, they don't break.
Then you get leaf springs, aka on the back of my old Capri, none of them ever snapped.
So, I'm pretty damn certain that the manufacturer of Mr.P's child seat would have researched the best spring steel / heat treatment requirements to suit his product. Especially in these days of where theres a blame theres a claim.

I'll get me coat

bonj2

Elmer Fudd said:
Bonj, steel bends. If you harden it to 45-49 HRC it doesnt bend. if you've got enough strength and i doubt anyone has, you could snap it.

Then you get spring steel thats bouncy and bendy etc. once heat treated you will never change its formed shape from what it was made to unless using the metaphorical sledge hammer and you would have to give it some welly even with that. You get compression springs, that distort down but return to their normal size, then you get expansion springs that stretch and return to their normal length.
I've seen compression springs used in tooling for 15,000 ton drop presses, they don't break.
Then you get leaf springs, aka on the back of my old Capri, none of them ever snapped.
So, I'm pretty damn certain that the manufacturer of Mr.P's child seat would have researched the best spring steel / heat treatment requirements to suit his product. Especially in these days of where theres a blame theres a claim.

I'll get me coat

Are you saying that fatigue doesn't occur?

bonj2

"bonj" said:
it's probably fine, I just wouldn't trust it that's all
If you just made this your signature you'd save yourself a whole lot of typing. Your arguments usually end with this kind of statement.
Ah, but they're not my arguments. In case you haven't noticed, the arguments always start with me saying "I wouldn't trust it". It's not intended as an argument. But people always then feel the need to jump in there with justifications of its worthiness, apparent proofs of the theoretical durability of it and arguments for the merits of its design.
If I start a post in soapbox with something like "I don't trust xxx", then fine. It's obviously intended as an argument. But why am I seemingly not allowed to cast aspersions on something elsewhere without being shot down in flames?

OP
OP
D

DLB

Bonj you are SO entertaining. I just love your reasoning. I go to work today leaving a sensible thread and come back to find you and Mr Paul having this really deep conversation (which had me in tears of laughter).

I was SO glad you transfered from the br site to here. More of the same please lad.

Top Bottom