Mudguard Suggestions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paul__w

Regular
I own a Boardman HYB 8.6 and need to get some mudguards.

Does anyone have nany suggestions of a good pair for this bike and also ones that don't require the back wheel to be removed to fit?

Also (newbie question), do you need to fit the stays with mudguards or can you do without?

TIA.

vickster

Legendary Member
You can get the clip on ones that go on seat post, no stays, no wheel removal. Ugly though and prone to moving
Why don’t you want to take the wheel
off to fit?
Why would you not want the stays?

Just get your bike shop to fit proper fixed guards if you don’t want the faff

OP
OP
P

paul__w

Regular
Its not so much I dont want them, just looking at options and as a newbie to cycling, taking the wheel off seems daunting lol. I could always go to a bike store though.

Any suggestions of good guards for my bike?

Mike_P

Guru
I use a fit on seat post rear and strap on down tube ones largely due to having read of all the problems people have trying to fit proper mudguards to my road bike, namely Zefals Swan and Croozer. The one problem I have found is the lack of guard to the rear of the seat post which last year resulted in muck being thrown onto the front derailleur resulting in some reluctant shifting . Resolved that by trimming an Ass Saver to suit https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/what-have-you-fettled-today.87079/post-5834195

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Its not so much I dont want them, just looking at options and as a newbie to cycling, taking the wheel off seems daunting lol. I could always go to a bike store though.

Any suggestions of good guards for my bike?
Is it a hub geared bike?

You will want to practice getting the wheel off and on in case of punctures

Just get a shop fit mudguards as they can be a pain to do

OP
OP
P

paul__w

Regular
If it’s this one it seems to have proper mudguard mounts. They can be a faff to fit yourself though so I would see if a bike shop can fit you in and get it done.
https://www.boardmanbikes.com/gb_en/products/2181-hyb-8.6-grey.html

You should practice taking your wheel off though if you want to be able to fix a puncture.

Yeah that's the bike. I've watched a few videos and they do seem a faff. I'll need to check if my local bike store can help me out.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Yeah that's the bike. I've watched a few videos and they do seem a faff. I'll need to check if my local bike store can help me out.
I’ve done it, but it really is a frustrating faff trying to get the stays cut to length and get them sitting just right. If you get a decent set of something like SKS chromoplastics professionally fitted, they will last you for years and give good coverage.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Paul - if you baulk at the idea of taking your rear wheel off, then I'd not recommend you try to fit any mudguards that you need to 'fit' ie with stays to the drop-out eyes (which your Boardman has fitted). Your LBS could do this for you, but otherewise, as per advice above, it takes time and more than one beer. SKS Raceblades XL can be clipped on and taken off without needing to remove the wheels. But your Boardman HYB 8.6 has 37mm wide tyres and the Raceblades are not wide enough. I guess there's the option to change to 32mm tyres and then use them.

SKS chromoplastic with metal stays are the benchmark for mud guards. Mtb clip on ones are a pretty poor alternative. Fitting SKS well requires a few tools and know how. You really should know how to remove your wheels and swap inner tubes. Sooner or later you will need to do this.0

si_c

Guru
Another vote for SKS chromoplastics - they're the gold standard of mudguards - if you get them from a local bike shop they should be able to fit them for you as well, it'll cost you a couple of quid, but fitting mudguards can be an exercise in frustration if you're unsure of what to do.

That being said once they are properly fitted it's pretty much a case of ignoring them and enjoying the very many benefits they provide.

Seevio

Guru
If it's for a Boardman, surely Halfords have something suitable?

I've never needed to remove a wheel to fit mudguards although given my limited experience, I'm fully prepared to accept that this is a thing.

I’ve done it, but it really is a frustrating faff trying to get the stays cut to length and get them sitting just right. If you get a decent set of something like SKS chromoplastics professionally fitted, they will last you for years and give good coverage.
+1 to sks. Agree they are a pig to fit but once fitted you never need to touch them again. Solid as a rock.
Getting a shop to do it isn't necessarily trouble free though. I bought a £1,400 list price dale off evans years ago, bought guards which they offered to fit, they screwed it up so much, driving a bolt into the frame mount at an angle that i had to take the frame to witcombs to get it drilled out.
Now i do it myself. Not a fast job though, I allow four hours minimum and if it's faster that's a bonus. Did a set a couple of weeks ago.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I've never needed to remove a wheel to fit mudguards . . . my limited experience
Do share your experience. What different types of mudguard have you fitted without having to remove the wheel(s)? Maybe that type will meet the OP's requirement.

Last edited:
Top Bottom