What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
Nice
Is that a phone... And an app?
If so what app is that..

iPhone 8, the app is Cycle Comp Pro about a fiver for the ad free version. Nice simple old school display, works really well.

Cannibalised a bike given to us by some friends. It's a ladies bike with 700cc wheels and is aluminium so not a lot of use in original state, but the components will be handy as spares. Once I've got the BB off, the frame will go in a skip.
Why not clean up the frame , thread some flex through it , attach a light fitting and you could have a handy desk top lamp !

Bad Machine

In the garage .....
Removed the flint from the E-BOB front wheel (that I'd been unable to find amongst the mud and debris whilst out on a ride this morning). Gave thanks that the hissing sound that revealed its location was heard only as I was putting the bike away. Repaired the puncture, and this time I kept the sliver of stone - in the hope the fairy won't be able to use it again.

Mike_P

Guru
Road bike in winter has a clamp on seat post rear mudguard. I was puzzled by a momentarily non working front derailleur yesterday.
Noting post ride the sheer amount of mud etc thrown off the rear wheel onto the lower parts of the seat post I presumed that might have been the issue with the front derailleur at times so have trimmed an ass saver to act as a seat post / derailleur protector. Somehow Halfords gave a BC discount of 23% on it.

Last edited:

Bad Machine

In the garage .....
Long time in preparation - lots of sketches, ideas and research. Finally, today completed the aluminium plates for my recumbent trike's seat/frame/steerer mount; dremel and small hand files used to cut out the hex shape on Al plate 2 (which prevents the 12mm bolt from turning). The dremel proved useful again with a router bit and stand, to remove a hex-shaped recess in the base of the paired stauff-clamps (recess accommodates the remaining height of bolt head above plate 2). I've offered it up, and it fits perfectly, so happy days ^_^

Seat Boom Steerer clamp parts.jpg
Seat Boom Steerer clamp assembled.jpg

Why not clean up the frame , thread some flex through it , attach a light fitting and you could have a handy desk top lamp !

Oooo... I like that idea. In fact I'd try it except that (1) my desk is tiny, it's one of those desk-inna-cupbpard things, and a bike frame wouldn't fit, and (2) the frame is, how do I say this..? fug ugly. Yeah, that's about right. Still, it's an idea for when I'm working somewhere and I need a project...

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Oooo... I like that idea. In fact I'd try it except that (1) my desk is tiny, it's one of those desk-inna-cupbpard things, and a bike frame wouldn't fit, and (2) the frame is, how do I say this..? fug ugly. Yeah, that's about right. Still, it's an idea for when I'm working somewhere and I need a project...
(Not necessarily for the desk) Mount the frame lamp on the wall on a hinge to open out into the room?

If my wife wouldn't throw a fit at the very idea, I'd've done it myself by now :laugh:

(Not necessarily for the desk) Mount the frame lamp on the wall on a hinge to open out into the room?

If my wife wouldn't throw a fit at the very idea, I'd've done it myself by now :laugh:

I wondered that as well: I'm stealing the idea to see if I could use it wherever I get a job, on the basis I'l probably be working as a therapist in a workshop and I'll need a couple of projects up my sleeve...

JhnBssll

Veteran
Quick fettle of the Stumpjumper. It hasn't been ridden for a month or so and I'm off to Danbury in the morning. Rear tyre was completely flat but always is - I need to whip it off and work out where the air is falling out. Its not a priority because it stays inflated for a few weeks which is longer than even my longest of rides :laugh:

Also checked the fork and shock pressure, all good there. A quick whiz up and down the drive suggests its all working as it should so just need to pack some spanners and I'm good to go first thing tomorrow :okay: I've never ridden Danbury Common before but apparently it's good fun :laugh:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Lots of 'bits':

- Fitted a replacement cradle to my son's Uvex FP1 helmet after it had split at the strap, using an old second-hand helmet via eBay.
- Adjusted the Dawes Kingpin gearing cable: still trying to get all 3 gears and I think it now works.
- Fitted the Stages power crank to my son's BeOne Comp.
- With his help fitted the Absolute Black oval chainrings to his Boardman AirPro. That was fiddly.
- Began work on his Columbus X-Wing commuter; old xx( bar tape off, chain replaced, paint chips tidied up, cables and bar tape done: ready for 'back to school' commuting on 6th Jan.
- Fitted tape onto his track aero bars; we've used a 3T carbon base bar but they needed taping.
- Removed the damaged lacquer from the Giant Trinity TT bike and put a first coat of replacement lacquer on. Should be finished Tuesday/Wednesday.

The Gitane's coming out Wednesday for a major dismantle and re-build. French threads ... :blink:

Last edited:
Top Bottom