What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Simple stuff first; cleaned and fitted a new chain to the Wilier Montegrappa.

Next is a cunning plan to remove the stuck pedals on the Giant Trinity TT bike. I'll see if using thermodynamics works :whistle: *

* my Engineering degree student son thinks I'm an idiot and it wouldn't work. He was right 😠

** but he didn't reckon on me having a 'spare' crankset lying about, and with brute force the FSA one's off and a better Shimano one on with pedals ^_^ . From this non-shifting, stuck and unwanted TT bike last Thursday ...

edd6f884-c5d5-49c2-b794-8793c6646725-jpeg.jpg

To this today and test-ride time:

I'm in the process of sourcing a 'correct' Giant saddle and still have some cables to do, but it all works nicely. Paint correction also to be done over the next few weeks. Hopefully a practice ride later this week and a TT on 1st January (using my tri-spoke rear and deep section front). My thanks to @Spiderweb for spotting it originally.

Last edited:

Levo-Lon

Guru
Had to modify my rear hugger, it was for a 26er.
Used a front mucky nuts guard, glued and trimmed it so it stops the soaking wet back. And shorts throughout winter..

Ugly as sin but needs must..

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Cannibalised a bike given to us by some friends.It's a ladies bike with 700cc wheels and is aluminium so not a lot of use in original state, but the components will be handy as spares. Once I've got the BB off, the frame will go in a skip.
watching a bike on ebay listed as serviced but gears no working for a similar idea, probably just needs a bit of fTLC

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Managed to get out to the man cave today for an hour. Got the bike cleaned and lubed for the weekend.:okay:

Mike_P

Guru
Having struggled up two hills since putting a "11x30" cassette on the road bike to replace a slipping "12x30" I decided to take a closer look at the removed one and discovered despite all the specs on the bike as supplied it was actually a "11x32".
Decided to get a "11x34" to hopefully make some previous hills that required the use of Shanks's Pony now:bicycle:so a quick trip to Spa Cycles and the rear wheel taken off the road bike and was just about to put it temporarily on the spare rear when a :idea: moment occurred; the spare has a 10 speed hub and a Shimano "11x34" fits such a hub - they need a spacer behind on a 11 speed hub (a spare was provided). So kept the "11x30" on one rear wheel and fitted the "11x34" to other. Seems provided I do not try largest chainwheel with the largest spocket the chain does not need lengthening and that is a gear combination I usually avoid anyway. Does need some tweaking tomorrow as whilst on a single shift the chain moves okay on a double shift it is slightly out.

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
Stripped the Sora groupset from the Racelight - including the TRP brakes (Hy/Rd front, Spyre Rear) and replaced with nearly a full 105 R7000 groupset - the only thing non-stock are the wheels (which is my Dynamo Wheelset) and the Chainset and BB as I've installed my power meter.

The hoods are somewhat larger than the ones they replace and the Tiagra ones on my Trek but they are noticeably smaller than the previous RS585 based ones. Looks really nice overall. Shift action is nice and light too, although I wouldn't say it was a huge leap over either the Sora or Tiagra but that is just first impressions.

I'm taking it out tomorrow for a proper shakedown ride and to iron out any cable tension issues.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Cleaned the Wilier Montegrappa (again!) and my son's Boardman AirPro (again!).

Then continued with paint on the Giant Trinity TT bike (last coat tomorrow) and touched up some chips on the Boardman; the frame was matt black when we got it from a club-mate and it's showing winter use.

Still to do over the next week:

- Fix the laquer on the Giant Trinity in preparation for a TT on Wednesday
- Work with my son on fitting a new chain (now done) / inner & outer cables / bar tape to his Columbus X-Wing commuter plus new mudguards (all done)
- New jockey wheels on the Avanti Circa (leaving this until a chain change)
- New Q-chainrings on the Boardman AirPro; my son'll be helping me with this (now done - fiddly and needed the front mech moving)
- New SPD/flat pedals on the Dawes Kingpin (now done) and some rust/paint remediation
- Fit his new power crank onto his BeOne Raw training bike (now done)
- Start stripping my Gitane Tour de France that's sat untouched for the past 3 months for a full re-build

Last edited:

DSK

Cleaned the Wilier Montegrappa (again!) and my son's Boardman AirPro (again!).

Then continued with paint on the Giant Trinity TT bike (last coat tomorrow) and touched up some chips on the Boardman; the frame was matt black when we got it from a club-mate and it's showing winter use.

Still to do over the next week:

- Fix the laquer on the Giant Trinity in preparation for a TT on Wednesday
- Work with my son on fitting a new chain / inner & outer cables / bar tape to his Columbus X-Wing commuter plus new mudguards
- New jockey wheels on the Avanti Circa
- New Q-chainrings on the Boardman AirPro; my son'll be helping me with this
- New SPD/flat pedals on the Dawes Kingpin
- Start stripping my Gitane Tour de France that's sat untouched for the past 3 months for a full re-build

Please upload pictures as you progress! I like pictures :bicycle:

Top Bottom