What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DSK

Replaced the SPD with SPD-SL on my trek

JhnBssll

Veteran
Gave the Stumpjumper a quick clean after yesterdays outing at Danbury :okay: I whipped the driveside crank arm off too as it had come loose, inspected the splines which seemed fine and refitted it. I'll keep an eye on it and hope it doesnt loosen itself again.

Once I'd given it a quick once over and Mint was mud-free I noticed two things - the rear gear cable is irritatingly frayed and the drivetrain still had a large amount of danbury in it :laugh:

Whilst there was nothing I could do about the gear cable (aside from ordering a new one, which I'll do later), I decided the drivetrain needed a proper clean so first out came the chain cleaner :laugh:

I use Rhino Goo degreaser, its good stuff and supposedly environmetally friendly. Once I'd got the worst of it off the chain the rest came away fairly easily with a bit more degreaser. I even found a pair of jockey wheels in the rear mech, I thought they may have been lost forever :laugh:

I rinsed it all off with the hose afterwards until it ran smoothly and all the grit was gone then left it to dry before lubing it up. Runs sweet now and seems to change gear better, weird that :rolleyes::laugh:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Finished the Giant Trinity TT bike and prepped for a 5 mile TT tomorrow. I might not look like much has been done from earlier, but it's been a lot of little repairs. The replacement Giant saddle hasn't arrived so for now it's on a Bontrager one:

DSCF6651.JPG

Finished off with my Wilier Montegrappa which has been squeaking badly; new bottom bracket and new gear cable as that had begun to fray.

Last edited:
This is a Brooks B5N leather saddle off of my 1971 Holdsworth Record. It sadly let me down earlier this year when the saddle parted company with the front end .
It is an old friend and I thought I would try to repair it . I don't know if it will work out but I thought I would give it a go .
I had a large piece of scrap leather which I thought I would glue underneath to join the pieces together.
I drilled out the rivets on the frame so that I could get at the underneath of the saddle . I decided to try using Evo stik contact adhesive. You can see that my bad back had affected my brain as I applied the glue to the wrong side of the leather . It should have been the smooth side .
Sticking the two pieces together proved tricky as once it touched it didn't want to move again . I did it in two sections , the rear half first and then applied glue to the front and wrestled it into position . I trimmed the leather to shape and the attached the front piece .
I will have to drill extra holes in the front metal plate to fit rivets beyond the break to lessen the strain on the joint. The next problem will be to source some replacement rivets. They will have to have larger heads due to the enlarged holes in the leather.

Attachments

• IMGP1833.JPG
    IMGP1833.JPG
    150.3 KB · Views: 5

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Checked over two MTBs ready for the planned ride tomorrow removing a lot of gunk from one drivetrain especially the chainrings and jockey wheels. Also added the new saddle bag as the strap broke on the old one. It’s been a while since I’ve been out on the MTB but it’s a much better bike for where we‘re riding.

Also adjusted the back brake on my daughter’s Frog as the brake block was rubbing the rim.

I ran out of time to clean and fettle my Fuji. The front derailleur is stuck so I need to free that as soon as possible as the Fuji is my go-to bike.

Nothing, the benefits of Rohloff. Bike did 20,000 km with previous owner who claimed to be addicted to cleaning the chain and sprocket. I clean once or twice a year. No idea how far I have done but at least a third off road and permanently covered in mud in winter.
Still original chain wheel and sprocket. Not sure about chain.
I think some people spend more time cleaning than using the bike. NOT the definition of a cyclist. A mate cleaned chain by splitting it, it came apart cycling up a hill broke his shoulder not sure if he is ever going to cycle again. Very bad injury.
Just bought a bike a with gates carbon chain/belt even less silly fettling.

Last edited:

Bad Machine

In the garage .....
Components 1.jpg
Completed 1.jpg

I still smile, remembering the first one I did. About this time of year, too - probably 'cos a kind soul gifted me a truing stand (maybe, maybe not, knowing how much pleasure it could bring to someone with borderline OCD). So there's another grin on my face this afternoon, having just completed the front wheel for the trike rebuild. I take the time to measure twice, and compare figures from Ed with whichever online spoke calculator comes up in the websearch. And I always keep the piece of paper with all the notes on - must be something to do with being asked to show my working in maths at school..........

What a bike looks like before I go for a ride. Couldn't even be bothered to fix the slow puncture. Pumped it up and left

Attachments

• IMG_20200101_141541_4.jpg
    IMG_20200101_141541_4.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20200101_141600_3.jpg
    IMG_20200101_141600_3.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: DSK

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
I found the time to fettle my Fuji today. Cleaned the dirt off, freed the front derailleur which is working nicely again now, mickled and oiled the chain, and fitted new brake pads the the rear calliper.

I think I'm going to need a new bottom bracket soon as the crank revolution seems a little stiff, but I've never fitted one before. According to the spec, it's a Press fit BB86 which should be simple enough. I'll find a YouTube video to show me how to do it once I've purchased a new BB. Hopefully, it'll last a bit longer - I'm hoping until Spring when the worst of the dirty roads has gone.

Mike_P

Guru
Should have been simple - swop the tyres on my road bike, hour and a half later... Everything that could go wrong did:o) tyre on wrong way round - corrected - oh flip it was correct first time:banghead: -fitted on correctly and tried to pump inner tube up - valve failed:evil: all off, new inner tube and tyre refitted but did not spot the slight misfit so pumped up and found the inner tube bulging out of the tyre:angry:. Sorted that out and finally got the rear wheel done. Then the turn of the front wheel which thankfully went okay.

Top Bottom