What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bad Machine

In the garage .....
Repaired a hole in the ICE "Q" recumbent trike's seat frame.

When I bought it, the the previous owner's "recently-serviced" tadpole trike was missing the idler wheel on the chain run between the bottom bracket (at the front of the trike) and the drive wheel's cassette (at the rear). :rolleyes: For those unfamiliar, the idler wheel ensures an unfettered run for the the power side of the chain line as it changes direction half-way along the trike. I found the photo I took when I got it - the idler wheel should have been positioned under the central bolt on the photo - you can see the where the chain had worn through the chaintube further up and to the left.

Hebden Trice  Q invisible idler.jpg

I'd suggest that - judging by the damage done - the owner would have inititally thought nothing was wrong, then found the trike increasingly more noisy, and difficult to pedal. Thankfully, they can't have gone far before deciding to sell.

Hollow aluminium tubing, with no access on either side, so small strips of alumimium car body repair mesh were stuffed in, then set in place by drizzling quick-set epoxy metal into the hole. More epoxy metal added until hole completely full, then squashed to curve by wrapping with the non-sticky side of wide packing tape. Some wet and dry work and then primer and paint to finish.

ICE Q seat frame hole.jpg
ICE Q seat frame 1.jpg

pawl

Legendary Member
i thought the only ifference was mk 2s had a bigger flaps on the rear to protect the FD and a longer tail ?

It was the one with the Velcro type fastening that adhered to the inside of the forks

sorry it was the Mk3 Didn’t matter who I adjusted it I couldn’t stop it rubbing on the rear wheel

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
using crud mk 2s with 25s on the commuter and couldnt get the front to run without rubbing so took the tab from the guard and attached it to the outside of the support arm as the plastic screws were long enough , dab of glue to make sure it dosnt come undone and voila i have made just enough room to stop them rubbing and they will be ok till i can get a pair of guards that fit but dont rub.

Removed the wobbly BB cassette on the Xtracycle (seen below when intact)

2019_06_15_Eyach_Century_03.JPG

As usual this didn't go according to the normal plan: I didn't have a BB tool so asked Elder Son to bring one from work. He turned up at seven with same but has to go into work tomorrow, so the removal had to take place immediately.
Obviously it is dark at this time. Our garage light is broken & the letting agent is moving at the usual speed of letting agents when it comes to repairs, so we ended up doing the job in the stairwell, which is fortunately ideal for such things if a little cramped.
The old BB is now removed, to be taken to Elder Son's shop tomorrow to enquire about replacements.
The chain wheel and cranks are now on our balcony, One of tomorrows jobs is to dismantle the chain wheel and clean it to within an inch of its life...
As an aside, the frame is now at least 24 years old, has been used year round for much of that time, and and there isn't a hint of rust in the BB area. Raleigh knew their stuff when they made this bike.

Last edited:

Bad Machine

In the garage .....
Paperwork this morning, then a quick session in the garage this afternoon, now that the cold has more or less gone (and I can go a good few minutes without a coughing spasm :tired:). The 1" threaded fork had been collected from Cycle Clinic (milling a crown race from JIS to ISO), but I needed to cut two keyways into the tube (one for the light bracket, one for the steerer arm).

Two notches in fork.jpg
Fork with light bracket and steerer arm.jpg

Much faffing about needed to get the right height and angle for the dremel, and a straight edge to run the steerer along to get the notch in the right place. But the end result works. Time for a pint of homebrew, I think.

Mike_P

Guru
Sort of deflettling this morning, having concluded the torque sensor had gone faulty on my TSDZ2 motor fitted hybrid. Motor removed and the hybrid is now very unhappy as it has no chain, bottom bracket, cranks or pedals. Did try refitting it with its original bottom bracket but the filing of the frame to clear it of the unfinished inside from seat and tube posts necessary for the motor to slide in had too damaged the threads. A push fit BB would be a solution but seems a bit of a waste of money once the TSDZ2 is well.
Looks like a trip for some slime filled inner tubes for my road bike to give it a fighting chance of not having a number of punctures on the cycle track to and from work as it stands in on the commute

Top Bottom