What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Cleaned the commuter bikes - my son's Carrera Tanneri and my Avanti Cira - plus the winter bikes after a wet rainy/hail ride yesterday - his Boardman AirPro and my Wilier Montegrappa. He had studies and prep for GCSE so was excused for once.

Then collected the Orbit America I'd bought via eBay, cleaned it thoroughly and fitted a new chain. Now shiny, really shiny :becool: , it looks like this:

dscf6623-jpg.jpg

Bad Machine

In the garage .....
Dismantled two wheels - a 24" no-name rim but with a drum-braked SA X-FD hub (destined for a braked cycle-trailer idea), and a 20" black rim with a no-name hub, where the rim will be paired with new spokes and a Deore hub I've had stashed away in the back of the shed.

Extended the thread on a 1" fork tube for a recumbent trike rebuild. New die and stock. New fork. New trick. Old Dog.

Celebrated with a pint of homebrew.

Swarf.jpg

Last edited:

chriswoody

Legendary Member
youngest son has outgrown his 18 inch kids bike and up to now all his bikes have been secondhand, due to his continual growth and the fact they become too small after only a short time. So for Christmas we have finally taken the plunge and bought him a brand new 24inch mountain bike from Cube. So I spent an hour today putting it together and checking and adjusting everything. Nice to be working on something brand new and no mucky hands!

DCLane

Put some gear oil in the rear Sturmey Archer hub on my Dawes Kingpin in the hope it'll sloosh through and help the gears shift properly. If not it's an out and re-build job.

Cleaned my Avanti Circa winter commuter xx( . Using clip-on Raceblade XL's isn't working as everything's gunked up. Wheels off, full clean and full-size mudguards to go on.

Then finished helping my 15yo clean his Carrera Tanneri. It's not being used very much so is going on sale tomorrow: that'll force him/us/me to get his Columbus X-Wing cross bike renovated over Christmas or he'll be on the Raleigh Pioneer / GT Timberline / Dawes Kingpin when going to school in January. The threat of small-wheeled shopping bike as school transport should focus his mind sufficiently enough :whistle:

Last edited:
Fitted new 9 speed 12-26 Sram cassette on the Claude Butler Roubaix. All nice and shiny, cassette that is. Bike needs a clean but that will have to wait until after the next wet ride.

D

Deleted member 1258

I shortened and tweaked the chain on my fixed this afternoon, when I put the new chain on in October I set it up a little on the long side, today I shortened it and added a male/female half link, the wheels now further forward in the trackend and within the adjustment range of the back brake.

DCLane

Cleaned my Wilier Montegrappa after this morning's ride.

Then fitted new 'proper' Flinger Deluxe mudguards to the Avanti. Apart from a bolt head shearing it went OK.

Began work on the Giant Trinity A1 I collected earlier this week; cleaned, lubricated and got the gears shifting fine. The Look pedals are stuck however so they're soaking in penetrating spray. Also the nasty saddle won't come off so that's soaking as well. Found some matching wheels and fitted those. It'll still need cables, a replacement saddle and a new bottle cage. If everything goes well it'll be used on a TT on the 1st of January.

Update: chain fully restored and the saddle's now off the Giant Trinity, with a new bottle cage fitted. Just the pedals to get off and then cables.

Last edited:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Yet more commuter bike cleaning.

Also an attempt to cure a squealing front disc on another bike by cleaning the rotor with Fenwicks degreaser/cleaner, sanding the pads and adding a touck of Copaslip to the back of the pads when putting them back. Still need to test ride to check whether it's worked.
The rotor cleaning & pad sanding didn't work and it still squeals like a banshee even with a light touch of the brakes, so I dropped the wheel out and swapped the pads round left to right this morning, but no test ride due to yet more rain. I may end up having to buy a new disc & pads as a last resort.

And yet more commuter bike x2 cleaning & lubing with added Autoglym polish applied to both frames for added shinyness.

robgul

Legendary Member
Gave up trying to get tubeless to pop onto the bead on the Planet X carbon bike's wheels (Fulcrums, Schwalbe ProOne and all the right tape, valves and stuff) so have put tubes in for now - tried all ways with a compressor, SKS tank inflator, CO2 and a top quality track pump I'm told that if I do about 5 or 600 miles on the tyres with the tubes it should then be easier to get them to seat as tubeless.

Rob

Reactions: DSK
Top Bottom