Mudguards for a 'gravel' bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cupotea

Morning all,

Having been put off road riding a bit by the high percentage of rides with far too close calls I've moved to using my cross/gravel/skinnyknobblymudbike more. As much as I love going out and getting covered head to toe in this fair isles finest mud and agricultural poop, if you're out often it becomes a real pain for cleaning clothes, not to mention spending the whole of the cafe stop apologizing for ruining their seats. So, I've come to the conclusion I need a mudguard. I realise I'm not going to stop it all but any is a bonus.

Top of the list are the Crud Racepac 29er and the SKS X-Blade. Has anyone any experience of these on a cross bike? Can you get them reasonably close to the wheel? Do they look an absolute bugger from being too wide?

Cheers,

Pete.

What bike?

iandg

Legendary Member
You don't want guards 'reasonably close to the wheel' if you're going to ride gravel and dirt.

I'm using Flinger Deluxe on my Cross Check and have set them up for use with 40c tyres (currently riding 38c Schwalbe Snow Studs)

38966587661_1997f308af_z.jpg

38031809805_56d8b93a20_z.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Cupotea

You don't want guards 'reasonably close to the wheel' if you're going to ride gravel and dirt.

I'm using Flinger Deluxe on my Cross Check and have set them up for use with 40c tyres (currently riding 38c Schwalbe Snow Studs)

By reasonably close I mean closer than an ArseSaver or similar. Yours are more than reasonably close :smile: I think I might actually have a set of Flingers in the garage but not sure what size. Time to investigate!

OP
OP
C

Cupotea

It has little screw in mounts by the chainstays and the normal eyes on the seat stay bridge and bottom bracket. I'm just concerned about them staying on over rough stuff.

SKS do a few which might work. For instance

https://www.sks-germany.com/en/products/velo-55-cross/

You can buy them with and without the stays. I fitted some recently to a friends bike and they came with lots of fittings. I think they also do ones with a flatter profile so there's more clearance.

jiberjaber

Veteran
I can't recommend PDW Fenders enough if you can stretch to them (45mm version).

Currently running Panaracer Gravelking Mud but have ran Marathon Winter spiked 35mm with no probs also.

Ld3tSTceDLwiMm6RDDz5YNrqTVVJe0KbtFOwneGi5TpL2flW7StOktf7ZypaYYNiCn5SFsaIbUkV7cCEa2P=w708-h944-no.jpg

VW7HksCD5KmGtE4dewCnIJkJ0hvHd723_Y9kE2l-u8CcF4EbKLfUUFuolMhwp-EajBIsX2DiUogrg_dIrS=w1259-h944-no.jpg

J_DZxd75chTyMSgArsXH9KgOU7bYY8VPljvTK1TMVIiJtFW5sD9IJyiY2-Zs-tykZa0SgOIzAJcmebe6di=w1259-h944-no.jpg

RQOE9o1-p3a9LeMMCGnnhfWn4ObEbi-D9RmjxSFT0TQS8PbAxTBUzkXDV7RyQZXa5rW7Z_L2hYqnrLpzUiE=w708-h944-no.jpg

You do need to get the spacing right though!

SNzVAA9ST7Q-5LTw9Bqq8_EXzpFEanl7B2plb8XXKx9uvZzOPhYtMI1ktvNU4FLEMX0pI03pLgsvs1-9mjl=w708-h944-no.jpg

I've a Boardman CX Team with 43mm GravelKings and gave up looking for full guards to fit the minimal clearance from running admittedly too big tyres for the frame. Ideal solution would be an XXXL type of clip-on like raceblades, but sturdier. Until someone makes something suitable I'm using the SKS x-blade 29er set, which can be positioned reasonably close to back wheel, and I put up with splatter from the front wheel. I've velcroed an old crud catcher to back of the seat tube to catch anything thrown forward of the rear guard. Not pretty and far from ideal - and not unlike riding with drogue-chutes on faster sections - but as good as I can get at present. Had considered the sks s-board for the front but not sure how sturdy it is and suspect the profile is too narrow for 43mm rubber. PS. tight clearances are worth it as the GravelKing SKs are absolutely brilliant tyres!
IMG_1268.JPG IMG_1270.JPG IMG_1271.JPG IMG_1273.JPG

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Many mudguards are not deep enough, so have a think about fitting a flap, particularly at the front.

The lower the better, within a few inches of the ground if you can stand the look.

@jiberjaber's bike above has sensible mudflaps.
Agreed.
Having just fitted flaps to my Rourke and ridden round the skog covered back roads of Kent I can attest to their value in keeping the bike cleaner.- particularly the drive-train.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I can recommend these from ebay, fitted to my cx ike with 35mm tyres, be aware they don't come with any fixing bolts..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/700c-35-...831380?hash=item2133136b14:g:VOsAAOSw9mpaE05~]

Thanks for posting the link. Whilst browsing Parkers other items I spotted a decent looking set of Raleigh Elements 26" x 45mml mudguards in black for a very reasonable £14.95 click & collect to my local Argos. They look ideal for fitting to my old late 80's/early 90's 501-framed Raleigh MTB on which I'm replacing the wide off-road knobblys with some 1.75" Schwalbes that should be easier-rolling for road use. Hopefully they'll look in proportion to the tyre width, rather than the tyre being "lost" under the guards.

Top Bottom